Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

12 September, 2011

A samosa story- and a fab giveaway

Pic courtesy simzcorner
First-- do check this fabulous giveaway that Simran over at Simz Corner has for anyone who signs up for it- blogger or nonblogger. Do check it out! Two of my favourite things. A fair of book-ends (yes, that made me perk up!) and a lovely Ganesha. Courtesy The Orange Bicycle.






***************************************************************

My grandfather would say this. "There's many a slip...between cup and lip."

A had some after school activity at school for the past few days. Since the kids would be famished by the time they finished, they would be provided with a snack before they were picked up by parents. One day, she got a punjabi samosa, which she finds too spicy. She knows my fondness for them, so she saved it up for me.

So when she came out of school, she had the samosa wrapped in a tissue paper, which she gave me. "This is for you, Aai."

I, too, was feeling a bit peckish, but as we were pressed for time, I decide to eat it in the auto. Holding the parcel in my left hand, I ushered A into a waiting auto. As we moved away from there, I asked her if she wanted to eat something else. I always have a stash of dry-fruits/ apple/ biscuits/ juice tetrapack in my bag for such eventualities. A habit carried over from A's younger days.

Rummaging in the bag for the box of raisins I had put in earlier, I asked her about her day. It had been a busy one. As I spoke to her, I forgot all about the samosa I still held in my left hand.

The auto soon stopped at a signal. An old beggar woman approached us. Typically for A, she wanted to give her something.

Now, I feel sad for these people, but I'm often mindful of the cartels behind them, and am always hesitant to give money. So I asked A if I could give her the samosa that she had saved for me.

So the samosa was given to the old woman, who promptly sat down on the footpath and began to eat it.

Daane daane par hota hain, khanewale ka naam!

Translated--Each grain has its eater's name on it!

3 comments:

Sangitha said...

Condolences for a samosa lost but congratulations on a daughter's generous heart. :-D

Choxbox said...

Echoing Sanginess :) Heart of gold that child has.

And hey Bancharam next time for samosas?!

Simran said...

Awwww - Thats so cute Sandhya! Thanks for sharing details about my giveaway :) And i agree with the daane daane pe likha hai khane wale ka naam ;)