Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

02 July, 2010

Of Mockingbirds and Harry

Two things lead to my writing this post.

One: I recently re-read for the nth time TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.
Written by Harper Lee.
This edition published by Arrow publications.
Ages: young adult.

Image: Courtesy Flipkart.

The book was published on 11th July 1960, the only book written by Harper Lee, and will complete 50 years. It is an iconic book, which should be required reading for everyone above 16yrs. I first read it as a teen, and at every reading, I learn something new, both about the book, and about myself.

The story is set in Alabama, USA, or the Deep South as it was called, in the 1930s. Racial problems were the norm. Atticus Finch is a white lawyer, who is the only person with the courage to defend in court Tom Robinson, a coloured man charged with raping a white woman. Tom claims that he is innocent, and Atticus believes he is, as he knows him very well. It is just his word against that of a white woman and her father. In the end, as racial matters stand, the jury rules against Tom. While being shifted to another jail, now as a convicted man, he makes an attempt to escape, and is killed by the sheriff's men.

The story is told from the point of view of Scout, Atticus' 8yr old daughter, her brother Jem, 4 years older than her, and a neighbouring child, Dill. The book is said to be autobiographical, with Scout being the young Harper Lee. Their mother is dead, and they are being brought up by Atticus with help from the coloured housekeeper, Calpurnia, who is more than just a housekeeper to the family. She is a valuable member, who does not shirk from disciplining the children. There is a very telling incident in which a child from school is visiting them for dinner, and Scout laughs at him for something that he would like to eat. Without making her feel small in front of the guest, Calpurnia calls her into the kitchen, and tells her, "...this that boy is your guest. He could eat the whole tablecloth if he wants to."  In many ways she reminds me of Mammy, the coloured housekeeper in "Gone with the Wind," who is a mother figure to Scarlett O'Hara.

There is a man in a neighbouring house, who has a history of being jailed in his youth for some misdemeaners, who is kept behind closed doors by his father. Myths about him abound among the children. Arthur "Boo" Radley becomes a monster in their eyes, a person to be frightened of. Courage, for the children, is in touching the door to Boo's house and running back. Scout is the only child who meets Boo in the book, and realises that there is nothing really to be afraid of. It is prejudice about Boo that made them fear him, just as prejudice against a coloured man, Tom, makes the white people believe in his 'crime.' As a German proverb says, "Fear makes the wolf seem bigger than it is."

Atticus is a gentle person, with a core of steel. He takes on the town single-handedly. Jem and Scout, who are witnesses to the courtroom proceedings, see their father with new eyes. They are old enough to understand a lot of what is going on, so of course, they come to their father with questions. In a talk he has with them, he says,  "I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."

It is a summer of revelation, a time of growing up and the loss of innocence. As Scout later says, "It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived."  There are many kinds of courage it deals with. The 'courage' of Jem in touching Boo's house door and running back, the courage with which Calpurnia and Atticus deal with the rabid dog in an incident in the book, the courage of his convictions that Atticus displays in his handling of the children and his single-handedly taking on of the whole town's prejudices. The courage with which Tom faces the court and the lack of courage displayed by Mayella, the white woman who accuses Tom. It is a wonderful book, one which I have gifted to many friends and relations.

Two: I saw the trailer of the next Harry Potter movie. I am an avid fan of J.K.Rowling, In her book Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, she quotes Franklin D Roosevelt when a major character applauds Harry for his choice of the thing he fears-"There is nothing to fear but fear itself." Harry is all too human in his attributes. Flawed, incomplete in many ways. He knows for a long time now that he is on borrowed time. Inspite of that, he meets his destiny head-on, with courage. Just as Harper Lee has said in her book. Courage here is not the lack of fear, but inspite of it.

This movie, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, will be released in two parts, in 3D. Part 1 is due for November 2010, and Part 2 for July 2011. Are you all fans reading this? Waiting for it.

14 comments:

starry eyed said...

I've been having withdrawal symptoms without Harry Potter releases...I'm sooooo looking forward to the next movie! I was so depressed when the book series got over :(

sandhya said...

*reverently clutching hands together*
Me too, Starry, me too. I take care of my withdrawl symptoms by re-reading the books. In fact, I have an iron clad excuse to do so now, as I have just finished reading aloud books 1 & 2 to A. Will start book 3 soon. And we both love to discuss them at all odd hours.

Arundhati said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favourite book :) Enjoyed your review. Must read the book again

And I loved the Harry Potter books too (didn't think I would!). Haven't watched the movies

sandhya said...

Thanks Arundhati. It is one of my favourire books too. Have read it many times, at different stages of life, and loved it.
I loved Harry Potter books fron day one, and now A, my daughter loves them too. The movies? They are worth at least one watch for someone who has enjoyed the books.

Anonymous said...

TKAMB is one of most most favourite books of all times, even now, in my fifties. when i first read it in my teens i identified totally with scout and atticus was the fantasy father i had.

I like your post - in fact came here today for the first time because of the book reference. like your style. there is a sense of warmth and a personal touch apart from the content. will come back again.

sandhya said...

Thanks, Sharbori21. I am glad you liked it. Do come back and read again.

utbtkids said...

For a long time now I have been wanting to read TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD. Many a times I have been tempted(mainly because of Gregory Peck) to watch the movie, but didn't do so because I wanted to read it rather than watch it. You gave me the nudge, I just put the book on hold.

From your review, I have flashes of many books(mainly Grisham's time to kill) and movie snippets in my head.

Eagerly waiting for HP. When I had serious HP withdrawl symptoms and wrote this post.

http://utbtkids.com/2009/08/12/if-i-were-in-harry-potter…/

sandhya said...

Hearing you re wanting to read the book rather than watching the movie. True, it's my motto too. Read the book before you watch the movie.
And LOL at your Harry Potter post. There is an 'Harry Potter' quiz on facebook 'which character are you?' I had taken it, and to my surprise I got Luna Lovegood! I am quite unlike her. Dreamy, scatterbrain, yes, but more stressed out. Not that Zen-like quality. Sometimes I feel I'm more like Mrs. Weasely, esp when I'm in an order-A-around-and-nag mood. I would like to be like Hermione, though. My favourite character. That shouldn't be surprising, as she is more like Mrs Weasely than she realises.

starry eyed said...

All this discussion about HP is.killing.me....GAWD I need a movie at least :( Am waiting till mt daughter's 9th birthday in a few months...am galloping out to buy her the book set (that's actually for me, snigger snigger) and the first movies.

Shankari said...

I hopped on here from your "Facing your fears" post. I have not yet read To kill a mocking bird inspite of holding a copy for the past 5 years. This post and utbt's references to the book has made me want to read it, maybe I should start reading it soon.

I loved these lines from the above post -

Courage here is not the lack of fear, but inspite of it.

Today, when I needed some assurance, these words just rang true to me!

sandhya said...

Welcome here, Shankari. I have been reading your blog pretty often too, although I have not de-lurked much.
To kill a Mockingbird is worth a read. You should read it. And I'm glad if my post has helped you in some way. Let us see that tag then!

Marce said...

I read TKAM for the first time for the anniversary. I loved your post, came over from Heathers blog.

I really like your feedback about Boo.

If interested,my wrap up post is here.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/wrap-up-post-for-to-kill-mockingbird.html

sandhya said...

Thanks for visiting, Marce. It is an ugly truth, ever since man walked on the earth, and even in these modern times, that some men are more equal than the others. Why else do we have discrimination and prejudice? Books like this, if made compulsary reading, will go a long way toward ironing out these differences.

Misha said...

To Kill a mockingbird is a wonderful book and I believe everyone should read it. I read it when I was 13 and I can still read it again !
I am now your follower.
Glad to find another Indian Blogger.
I just started my own blog. Please stop by if you can. Thank you

Misha
http://books-love-affair.blogspot.com/