Music is food to the soul. It can uplift me, move me, transport me to another world altogether. Often it moves me to tears. While listening to a song, I have often to hide my tears, esp. if I am with company, even if it is just my family around. When I'm by myself, I let go and let the tears flow. With happy, peppy music, I let it take me over and sway to it. It can be a very cathartic experience, believe me.
Yesterday I just wanted to chill out after an extremely hectic weekend. Sports league at school, a long awaited baby shower for a friend, a commitee meeting in the apartment complex, and guests for lunch on Sunday- from the in-laws' side.
So I put on some old hindi songs that I love while I did my chores in the morning, and just let go. These are some filled with angst.
This is lovely! First part is sung by Madan Mohan, the music director, and I never fail to have goosebumps at the place where Lata Mangeshkar takes off for the second part- the beginning alaap is really something.
This is a classic sung by Lata Mangeshkar, composed by Jaidev- couldn't get sweeter and simpler than this.
Feel the frission up your spine as Lata begins this one! Mukesh compliments her perfectly.
The incomparable Lata paired with the equally incomparable Dimple Kapadia in this one!
Story of the unrequited first crush! I prefer the Kishor Kumar version to the Lata one.
This one is all about being on an emotional precipice. I couldn't get a better link. Just close your eyes to shut out the image and let Asha Bhonsale's mellifluous voice wash over you.
Angst for GenX. Life has to go on. The brisk beat adds to the feeling of restlessness.
This one is by Reshma, a singer born in undivided India, and who had to go over across the border at Partition. She is known for her Sufi songs too. Although there is a movie video available, I prefer to highlight the singer instead of the very cheesy acting.
This one was part of the repertoire of A's school band, of which she was a part. Never failed to bring tears to my eyes. Probably A's first brush with an awareness of sadness in music. The stills in this clipping are poignant.
5 comments:
I loved reading this post sandhya ! Yet to listen to the songs. You have so beautifully described the feelings associated with the songs.
You know why I love the crazy commutes I do these days - school drop, office and back, school pick-up. Old film songs of course! My poor driver is soon getting a PhD in the stuff!
Know and love several of the songs you mention. The one from TZP makes me tear up every time!
Loved the post and most of these songs are my favourites too. Very soulful lyrics and beautifully rendered.
Thanks, all. Love old music. Will come up with more soon.
Post a Comment