Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

16 July, 2010

Their need is greater than mine!

Not quite in my usual format. Too short for that But this is something I wanted to share.

Today A and I had gone out for a visit to the library and shoe-shopping. She had grown out of her play shoes, and so there we were, out on the road, walking to the shop from the library.

"Aai, I want to eat something." A.

"Do you want to eat your sandwich?" Me.

"No, something else." A suggestive look and a big grin. She knew that I had two 5-stars in my bag. For when we wanted a quick something.

"OK. You can eat one now." I took it out and gave it to her. Just then we happened to walk past a beggar woman sitting on the pavement with a small child, probably 2 yrs old. Thin, emaciated, in rags. Knowing A, I silently handed her a 2-rupee coin, which she put in front of the woman.

"Aai, why is the baby crying so much?" A.

"Maybe it is hungry." Me.

"So why doesn't it's mother give it something to eat?" A.

"She might not have anything to give it, A." Me.

"Then she should get it some food from the money we gave her."

"I'm not sure she will get anything for 2 rupees, A. Maybe she will collect some more money and then get food." Me.

A thoughtful silence for some time. "Aai, can I go back and give the baby my chocolate?"

We walked back. A gave the chocolate to the child, who forgot to cry and clutched at it.

"Good girl. Do you want the other chocolate?"

"OK!" Big smile as we walked away and I rummaged in my bag for the other 5-star. Just as I found it, we passed a man selling balloons, a 5-6 yr old girl with him. A stopped near them.

"A, if you want a balloon, I'll buy it after we finish with getting the shoes." Me.

"No Aai, I just wanted to give this chocolate to this girl. Even she looks hungry."

Big smiles on both our faces as we walked away, the girl looking at the chocolate in her hand.

I must give her a big treat. Many hugs already given. God bless you, A!

17 comments:

Vibha said...

how very touching!! Lots of hugs and blessings to A for being such a sensitive and caring person.

utbtkids said...

Whata sweet child. May all her dreams come true.

sandhya said...

Thanks, Vibha, utbt. Don't be fooled, though. She can be a devil sometimes, like any other kid. But she's a good kid on the whole, touchwood!

RGB said...

That's such a 'sweet' gesture. I guess, we should take a lesson or two from her :)

How do we know said...

god bless her.. really!!

sandhya said...

Thanks, RGB, How do we know.

rrmom said...

How very nice of A! Hope she brings many more such warm moments for you

Swaram said...

Thatz soo nice of her. God bless!

sandhya said...

Thanks, rrmom, Swaram.
And welcome to my blog. To you, too, How do we know.

Shruthi said...

That's lovely.

sandhya said...

Thanks, Shruthi.

Monika said...

god bless her... big hugs

Veena said...

Lil A definitely has a high EQ...and even from our limited interactions here, I can make out she takes after you!

sandhya said...

Thanks Veena. And welcome back after a long time. I haven't forgotten about the promised post. Will do it soon. Apu is just 10mnths yet so I have time.

Sandhya said...

So touching...! What a lovely girl A is! I would love to read more about her and I will be reading your posts to Appu as well.

And I read thro' most of ur posts and love the way you have inculcated the love for reading in A. I have been trying to get Appu interested in her books. But I have not been very successful. She will turn to books only if she has nothing better to do usually. Would love to get some tips from you.

Sangitha said...

Super cool, you go, A!

sandhya said...

Thanks, Sangi. I have to sometimes bend over to the other direction and tutor her to not let people take advantage of her!