Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

20 July, 2010

My own Why-Why girl

Conversation between A and me today.

"Aai, was Ruskin Bond Indian or British?" A.

"Why?" Me.

"His name sounds British, but he does not write like Enid Blyton or J.K.Rowling. He writes about Indian people who are like the people in Indian folktales." A.

"You're right, A. Ruskin Bond was a British man, but he was born in India. He grew up in India, and has lived here most of his life. So naturally he writes like an Indian." Me.

"But he still doesn't write like the lady who wrote Younguncle. That is even more Indian." A.

"Because she was born to Indian parents and had learnt Indian customs at home." Me.

"So because Ruskin Bond's parents were British, they taught him British customs? So he ate British food?" A.

"Very likely, A." Me.

All this while watching (for the nth time) 'The Sound of Music'  on DVD. We watched in silence for some time. Till we came to the part where Rolfe delivers a telegram and Lisel goes out with him. We then have the song 'I am sixteen-going on seventeen'. At this point, A asked me to pause because she wanted to ask me something.

"Aai, Rolfe likes Lisel very much. Then why does he help the soldiers hunt for them at the end of the movie?" A.

"Because he has joined the Nazi party. You remember I told you about Hitler and the Nazis." This was during a discussion when we were watching the movie 'Life is Beautiful'. We had spoken then about Jews and Anne Frank and Hitler.

"Yes." A. "So even if he had joined Hitler's party, how can he do this if he likes Lisel?"

"That is exactly what the Nazis did. They influenced even young boys and girls who believed that what they said was right. That they were superior to the Jews, and that everyone who was not a Jew should join the Nazi party. These young boys and girls spied on their neighbours, friends, and even family members who did not side with the Nazi party and reported them. Then they would get into trouble like the von Trapps." Me.

"But why did these people not ask if it was right? Why did they accept that what Hitler was saying was right?" A.

"A, Hitler had a way of speaking that convinced people that whatever he said was right. And people believed in him. And remember I had told you that the Jews were a very small number compared to the total number of people? And even then they were richer or smarter or more educated than the others? So the people were jealous, and even this made them want to believe Hitler." Me.

"So Hitler had the power to convince people about what he believed and he used it to kill so many people? That is a wrong use of his power. It would have been better if he had used this power of convincing people to do good things, na?"

Way to go. I need to read up more, though.

21 comments:

Choxbox said...

Such a sweetheart that child is :)

You should totally read Hitler's Canary with her.

p.s.: And guess what the spellcheck word is 'acturi'!!!

Veena said...

Sandhya, I'm amazed that A can discern various writing styles already! And she goes a step ahead asking about the roots of the authors to gauge if that influenced their writing style..how keen and observant, God bless! I also didn't know watching Sound of Music can give way to a barrage of questions :)
Finally, thumbs up at your why-why girl title, it's funny!

sandhya said...

Thanks, Chox. Will borrow Hitler's Canary from you if you have a copy.

Googled 'acturi'. There was no dictionary meaning online, but came up with Acturis-Connected thinking. Any inputs?

sandhya said...

Thanks Veena. As you can see, I have to struggle to keep up. Not complaining.:)

Choxbox said...

actuary :)

no, ont have a copy. have seen it i landmark. the child's class read it when she was about 6 or 7 and she loved it. borrowed it from our libe in ldn and re-read it many times.

starry eyed said...

Sigh...we love Sound of Music around here too. What a deep question A asked! And I agree, sometimes even I'm floundering to answer these q's in depth and with my long-forgotten facts in place. :(

Arundhati said...

Wise girl! Credit goes to the parents :)

artnavy said...

lovely post and commendable A

I am going to take books that you discard once A is completely thru with them

for anush and later aditi....of course on a returnable basis ( 5 yr terms)!!

sandhya said...

@Chox: If Landmark has a copy, I'll find it. Thanks.

@Starry: It's a great feeling to be challenged by one's kids in this way. Enjoying every bit of it.

@Arundhati: As for credit going to parents, there could be a case for nature v/s nurture. I just do my best.:) Thanks anyway.

@Artnavy: Thanks, and sure you can borrow-you'll have to ask A, though. Those are officially her books. And I'm not sure I'll use the word discard. Books can't be discarded. Only put away until you want to re-read them. Maybe one of the reasons I don't seem to have much of anything else in the house.:)

Choxbox said...

If I find it, I'll get it for you.

And hey quit being modest. Have seen you in action so can say this - some credit does go to you for nurturing her nature :)

And so with you re books - just today I was wondering about some baby books we love, the only person I can bear to give them to is the kid sis for her toddler :)

sandhya said...

Thanks, Chox. You've made my day.:) I only hope that A will have all the happiness she wants in her life, and that she will be able to make lemonade with whatever lemons life throws at her.

utbtkids said...

Lovely. That all I can say for now.

sandhya said...

Thanks, utbt. It is great to have a comment from you.

Sandhya said...

I am impressed by A’s comments at such a young age. She is such a wise and knowledgeable kid.

sandhya said...

Thanks Sandhya. And welcome to my blog.

Dipps said...

What a smart little angel we have here. We r proud of her. Do tell that to her for us. Come to think of it we r getting to know A so much, which we missed being so far away. Great job A and you as well.

sandhya said...

Thanks Dipti. Told her and she is grinning.

Vibha said...

Lovely post Sandhya and like the way A thinks and expresses herself. God bless her.

sandhya said...

Thanks, Vibha!

JKR said...

I see A almost everyday and she never fails to amaze me. I see so much joy and contentment in you as you enjoy and nurture her. Great parenting, Sandhya.

JKR said...

I see A almost everyday and she never fails to amaze me. I see so much contentment in you as you enjoy and nurture her, Sandhya.