Sangi has tagged me with this very interesting tag. I need to pick out 5 things that being a mother has taught me. Hmmm...let's see.
1. Are you there, God?
I grew up in a household which put a lot of premium by God, prayers, going to temples, rituals, etc., but I was never convinced of the existence of the said almighty. If anything, I actively rebelled against all of what seemed to me to be a lot of foaming at the mouth over something that was not proven to be existing anyway.
Oh, I knew all the scriptures I was expected to know as a child- the mythology, the epics, the prayers, what could/could not be done- the works. I have to thank my grandmother for much of that. Not complaining! It has definitely enriched me.
I was, however, entirely confused by a ritualistic approach to God- an insistance on the paraphernelia of religion- that one must have red flowers/ white flowers/ leaves of a particular plant/ coconuts, etc. for a God that seemed to me too petty to have wanted all that JUST SO. My belief thus bordered on atheism, but, as I feel sometimes, I threw the baby out with the bathwater. Pun not intended.
Having A was a miracle of sorts. I had her quite late, also having complications during pregnancy, a difficult labour and finally, an emergency C-section. The anxiety and heartache I went through during all this, and finally having her, healthy and whole, in my arms made feel that yes, there must be a God.
So did I finally get religion? Not quite. I cannot still abide by rituals. The occasional pooja I do, on festive days, is more to introduce this part of her culture to A, rather than for its own sake. I do not pray everyday, for then, I feel, it will become a meaningless ritual; or go that extra mile to get those red flowers/ white flowers, etc. I do pray the day I feel like praying, for, on that day, I know that my prayer is true and heart-felt, and it will certainly reach God. And A knows all the prayers, songs and stories that are part of her inheritance, her birthright as my grandmother's great-grand-daughter.
At times, I even feel close enough to God to quarrel or fight, if need be. When I feel the presense of the divine, my eyes close of their own accord and I bow my head. Spiritual yearnings? Maybe.
2. A smile in my heart.
"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." Osho Rajneesh.
When I see the affection A has for younger children, the raptures she goes into over any baby, see the affinity younger children have for her, I think back to myself as a child- heck, myself as a grown-up and wonder over how different she is from me in this aspect. As an adult, I loved babies, still do, and am a natural in handling the extremely fragile lovelies. But I normally cannot have easy coversations with older kids, unless they share my interest in books. I was never what you would consider 'mother material'. I never fantasised over having babies as she does, never wanted to get the little kids in the neighbourhood together to raise rabble. I was fine with my book in my corner, inhabiting my imaginary world, thank you very much!
When I saw the two purple stripes, and later A's heart going 'twinkle, twinkle' at an impossible rate on the screen at an ultrasound, I realised how much I wanted my baby. Connecting with her when in utero was an out-of-this-world experience, and I was absolutely smitten by her once I had her in my arms.
Please bear with me over the next paragraph.
The day she was born was an extremely hot day even by Mumbai standards. Since all AC rooms were occupied at the time, I was moved to a non-AC room temporarily, just for one day's time. A could not yet suckle, and as a result she got dehydrated. She was taken away by the nursing staff on duty for some time (the nursing home believed in rooming in; babies were NOT taken away to the nurseries like in most hospitals those days. AND the obstetrician was a dear friend, who had hand-held me through my extremely difficult pregnancy, with me going ballistic over things that could go wrong- a distinct disadvantage of being in the know in medicine) on the doctor's orders, so that she could be given some glucose water orally to tide over till she could suckle. The panic I went into over that was unimaginable. This was my baby. Where were they taking her? Why? So what if these were doctor's orders? Couldn't they do whatever they needed to do right there, in front of me? Blah, blah, blah, blah...you fill it in.
Love is here to stay. Always, in my heart. No matter what, no matter when, no matter how.
3. They are not always right, nor always wrong.
As a child, I often thought my parents were always right in everything, until came a time when I thought just the reverse. Now they could do nothing right. And one's peers also thought the same of their parents at the same time. So I often ended up blaming my parents for things that I did not do right.
While some of it may be true, (see, I have a long way to go yet!) I realise now as hands-on mom that my parents always did that which they thought was right at the time, and what was humanly possible for them. The realisation has gone a long way in making my peace with them over issues we didn't see eye-to-eye.
Something I hope my daughter also realises over a period of time- that her mother is just human, and that I do the best I can do, the best I believe I should do. I hope to God that it is the right thing.
4. Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down!
Coming from a background where my mother was the rulebook, and considering that I rebelled against it wholeheartedly, sometimes even to my detriment, I always thought that with my child I would be different. I would not do this, or that, that I would always talk to my child, explain things, do things right. I am not saying that I had bad parents, just that they were very conservative, old-fashioned, and pretty much followed the norms of the times they lived in.
I was living in a fool's paradise. No, not till she came along, but till she learnt to stand up to me and say NO! WON'T! pretty early in her toddlerhood. A true-blue Taurean, she knew very well how to dig her heels in and...err...so did I.
I had to go great lengths to unlearn all that I had absorbed. As always, I took the help of books. It was a lot of trial, and much more of error. Still is sometimes. I learnt that logic works more wonders with A than putting my foot down. I need to back off and calm down, be less authoritarian. I who needs to get my act together if I am to make any headway with teaching this lovely but stubborn as a mule child of mine the right things. Blogs by friends who are wonderful parents, like Starry, Choxbox and Sangi help. Their views and extremely clear headed analysis of so many little things often show me the light.
5. It is never too late to get an education.
Having a daughter taught me so many things.
*That one cannot learn everything from books.
*That I cannot bear it when she is in pain, but have to be strong enough for both of us to make it bearable.
*Everything that is humanly possible is certainly achievable, especially if your child needs it of you.
*The human body is amazing- and this doesn't include just what they teach you at medical school. One can survive on the barest minimum of sleep, oxytocin and lots of TLC.
*That much more can be achieved by being patient and explaining things instead of laying down the law.
*That sometimes one is only human and wishes one does not have to explain things so much but can lay down the law!:)
*That one can have conversations with an extra-chattery child where one can switch off and yet make satisfactory rejoinders.
*That even though one loves the child so much, one can wish that someone takes her away for the day, on the stipulation that she is returned in the evening safe and sound. Sending her off to school is the best option.
*That the best part of the day is when A comes home with a smile and a hug for mommy, followed closely by the time in the morning when everybody, including the husband, are out and one can finally rest one's errr...backside with a hot, steaming cup of tea.
*That children can ask the darnedest questions. And one never has an answer for them when they are asked in company.
*That one has absymal / long forgotten / outdated knowledge about the things children learn as early as in middle grade. And that one has to read up a lot to be able to keep up.
*That it is a lot of fun to do things together, and it does not always have to cost a bomb.
*That the best times we have spent together are when we have sat together on the bean-bags near the wide open windows, reading aloud to her in the light streaming in from a book I have loved and wanted to share with her.
*That one has to exercise tough love at times and settle for being the bad cop- mommies often are, as they are the ones usually around. That certainly goes for SAHM mothers like me, as also for working moms, though that bit is slowly changing.
*That there is no single rule about how things should be done, although a large portion of love, faith, hope, belief in oneself and patience is required on our plate.
I have to tag five others as part of the rules. I would like to tag Starry, Utbtkids, Ranjani, Crazy mum and Arundhati. Let us know what you think, ladies.

12 comments:
LOVE it. Absolutely know what you are saying to so many things. And Taureans are lovely people. So says one 'determined' (others say stubborn!) Taurean.
Shall be back and commenting in more detail - running somewhere, another thing moms end up doing, huh?! A's got a good one! We know. :-D
Tough love was hard today, first day of school when Div forgot to take her project and I did NOT go running to drop it off at the school. Sigh!
I hear you on the rulebook...my rigidity has been my bugbear...the more I relaxed and backed off...the better they got.
True abt the religion and spiritulaity too. I've done somewhat of a turnaround on it, from downright rejection to introduction and exploration for their sake. I don't do rituals, but they want to! The prayers soothe them, Div likes keeping the flowers and Dhruv is a Hanuman-bhakt, indeed Hanuman has 'helped' us a lot, more than I would've ever believed.
Thanks for the tag (and the compliments :-D) ...I've already been tagged...will get around to it next week...having a crazy time with the new place.
Loved reading this. More so as I could visualize you and A . I could see also how there is a generational change in children. I often thought like you re rituals, etc, and would have been rebellious and protesting about things, but stamping your foot and saying it was not acceptable in my time. You probably verbalized it in your student days. "A" will probably explain everything to you and educate you with a nice laugh.
I so wish we had these kind of blogs, blogfriends, and heartfelt writeups in my time. Somehow "chit-chatting" with other Mom's is not the same.
The backing off from being rigid....knowing that I have to and doing it are two entirely different things. So hear you. Can't toss the rulebook either.
We've gone to more religions on the God Q. If I were to confuse them more, they can't really ask me questions until they unravel the mess, no?! :-D
Point no. 3 is spot on. And I still try to understand that when I struggle to make peace with a few things today in my life that are a fall out of their rather autocratic decisions.
Shall be bookmarking this to read often.
Awesome. What else to expect from you huh?!
I was smiling while reading this :) Most of the things are so true for moms all over the world! Ditto on the religion part. I am not ritualistic and do things sometimes during celebrations or festivals just for the sake of introducing N to the cultural aspect. Coincidence or what but a bunch of us friends were discussing just this topic the other day :)
I especially agree about the "one can wish that someone takes her away for the day" part. I feel the same way with N! I think its healthy too - both for the mother and the child :) - Simran
@Sangi: Thanks.
This whole thing about being a parent has been more of an education to me than I had realised. Mulling over the topic of the tag brought home quite a few things to me. The post shares those that I CAN put up in an open forum. There are so many things more that I found impossible to share, but are very important too- some of them quite nuanced. Thanks for tagging me.
@Starry: I've had a bad time mending my ways re the rulebook too. I have often (still am quite a few times) been rigid about many things. It is a very difficult and fine line to toe- there are so many unsavoury things happening around that I so want to protect my child from- but realise in my saner moments that I'm not going to always be around for her. She needs to learn for herself the difference between right and wrong- and I'm very aware of the fact that right and wrong may be quite different now from what it was when I was her age. It is just so difficult sometimes.:)
Faith and religion- I wouldn't say I've done a turnaround. Though as I said, I do do the occasional pooja. These days I have left the pooja part to A- it is her job on festive days like Gudi Padwa, Dassera, Diwali etc. She does it in a way she feels is right- knowledge gleaned from watching her grandparents etc. doing it. I light the lamp (one ritual I love performing, esp. in the evening, followed by A saying her prayers if she is around. It feels so peaceful!) and we enjoy a prasad of chunky sugar. (khadi sakhar) I do not insist on her doing it, or on any one way of doing it. I leave it to her.
And yes, I've been browsing in spiritual books of late- not the typical "self-help" books one finds these days, but more basic stuff. I picked up a book on the 'Daasbodh' with commentary in Marathi when I went to Mumbai this time.
@Ugich Konitari:Yes, these blogs are a great way of connecting with persons of all kinds of views, which may be quite often very different from your own. It clarifies so many things in your own mind. There are a million things that we do not know about, and it is always good to learn.
And yes, A will probably try to convince me of HER point of view, instead of fuming over it as I often did. At least I hope so.
@Chox: Thanks. That is high praise coming from you.:)
@chipsnchutzpah: Thanks. Isn't it wonderful that we can have these conversations and learn so much from each other?
FINALLY did the tag today ! chek out my blog !
Post a Comment