So what did we do in the holidays? Quite a list.
Attended a super Carpentry workshop at Hippocampus, our library, run by a dear friend. We have a working model of a sun-dial, and a toy aeroplane to show for it. Thoroughly enjoyed by A.
Went to Mumbai after a very long 2 years, visiting parents and in-laws.
Sisters-in-law (2 of them) and I carted the kids (4 boys aged 12-17 years and A) over to the over 200 year old Shree Siddhivinayak temple in Prabhadevi, which is believed to grant wishes to devotees. It is a favoured place to visit for those who revere Ganesha/ Ganapati- the elephant headed god of learning, who is also believed to remove obstacles from one's life, and is invoked as 'Shree' before undertaking anything of importance.
Also visited the Mahalakshmi temple in Worli, which is built right next to the sea, with the waves breaking on its walls at high tide. The sea fascinated A more than anything else, as the last time we saw the sea was the North sea off Scotland when she was just 3, and she doesn't have any memory of it.
Went shopping with the entire gang (ladies and kids only) to Crawford Market built by the British in 1869 after travelling by the mumbai local trains. A was horrified by the crowd, the rush, and the chaos of both, but enjoyed the outing with her cousins.
Also checked out the extremely high end and absolutely unaffordable Palladium mall and the adjacent High Street Phoenix mall at the place where the famed Phoenix mills- cotton mills- were situated. The only place there that we could even think of buying something was the absolutely enormous Landmark, which had such a wide range of books that I could not do justice in terms of browsing. Picked up a few titles there- but of course. It was literally like getting into Alladin's cave for both A and I, and I plan to make a visit to just that one store on a later visit to Mumbai.
Made a family trip to the absolutely wonderful Tikuji-ni-wadi with brother and his family- A now had two cousins, my nephew aged 11 and niece aged 5 with her. It is very near the city, a few kilometers from my parents' house, but it is like stepping into another time zone. Of course there are the rides and the water parks that were fun for the kids, but the part I enjoyed most were that there was a sprawling chickoo orchard, with village style cots scattered around on which we could relax after a morning of activity and just chill. Which the sister-in-law and I did, as the brother took the kids off for rides. The food is very ordinary, though, just routine noodles-pizza-sandwich-chelpuri-other chaats stuff, not very inspiring. I was hoping for a homestyle gujju spread, and was much disappointed.
Immersed myself in many things marathi-
Typical food cooked by my mother- pithla bhakri, ambadichi bhaji, puraN poLi, kadhigoLe, waTli daL, waraNphaL, shrikand (home made) puri, and most of all, alphonso mango in many avataars. I even picked up aambawadi (a burfi like preparation from mango pulp), aambapoLi (alphonso pulp put out on plates and sundried), phaNaspoLi (made from jackfruit pulp), aambyacha satha (just a lump of dehydrated alphonso pulp).
I also picked up the all important Goda Masaala which is an important and indispensible ingredient of maharashtrian cuisine, and which is unfortunately not available anywhere. At least I have never found it. It is a difficult masaala to make at home, as it has many ingredients and is quite labour intensive. Something I have been too lazy to make at home, as my mother and grandmother always did.
![]() |
| pic courtesy lokvani.com |
I went for a few Marathi theatre performances too- two of which were written by the noted playwright, Sai Paranjpye, better known outside of Maharashtra for her sensitively made movies like Katha, Chashhme Baddoor and Sparsh. Also saw a few Marathi movies- some on DVD and one in theatres- the newly released Bal Gandharva which is a biographical film based on the life of one of Marathi's greatest and pioneering singers, and actor Narayan Shripad Rajhans, better known by his alter-ego : Bal Gandharva.
On DVD, saw quite a few. Am convinced that regional movies have a lot more to offer on realistic and well made movies- of an extremely high calibre as compared to the staple bollywood fare. I can probably count those bollywood films that impressed me in the last five years on the fingers of my hand. I do not really know much about regional films in other Indian languages, but going by those that are aired on LokSabha channel, there are quite a few world-class movies being made. When will bollywood wake up and smell the celluloid?
Anyway, the ones I saw this time-
Rita, based on the book of the same name by renowned marathi writer Shanta Gokhale- it is the story of Rita Welingkar, the eldest of three daughters, who starts working at an early age when her no-good father loses his job, and pretty much becomes the parent for her sisters, inspite of having both her parents alive. On the way she gets into a relationship with her much older and much-married-with-kids boss. The movie captures very well Rita's struggle to make things more meaningful in her life- wonderfully played by Pallavi Joshi.
Mee Sindhutai Sapkal (I, Sindhutai Sakpal) based on her autobiography named Mee Vanvasi (I, the exiled), is the story of a poor woman born in rural Maharashtra- pulled out of school and married off at age 12 to a man more than twice her age, and her struggle for a life of dignity. She is thrown out by her husband, pregnant, near term, with her third child, on a false charge of infidelity. This is the story of how she stands up in dignity, not just for herself, but for the rights of many more of the downtrodden, establishing 5 orphanages in the process, and travelling to the US on invitation to raise funds. Sindhutai, or Mai as she is known, is a living legend, doing her work even today. Wonderful performances by the actors, the movie may be seen just for the underplayed performance of Tejaswini Pandit, who plays the protagonist in her youth, her real life mother, Jyoti Chandorkar playing the elderly Mai.
Went to a few book exihibitions exclusively for Marathi books. Found out that many of our favourite Tulika books are been published by Jyotsna Prakashan, a well known publishing house of Marathi children's books, at a fraction of the price, with full credits to Tulika's copyright.. Was thrilled on finding them. Picked up a lot of Marathi books for A and for myself. Now that she knows the Devanagari script, common to both Marathi and Hindi, A can read simple books on her own. Am really thrilled about it.
It goes without saying that both A and I read a lot of books including Harry Potter 6, which we will be finishing in a day or two. To be followed by book 7, so that we will be all set for the last movie due in mid-July.
Ate at a lot of interesting restaurants many times with family and friends, too many too enumerate. The high point was a small place where we ate home-style Malwani food. Yum!
Met a lot of my old friends after a loooooonnnngggg time.
Also met a new friend, Ugich Konitari, a wonderful blogger whose posts I love for the clear headed analysis of so many different things, done with a wry sense of humour. She has written a whole post here about our meeting. We met midway between our houses, and had lunch together at a mall where we even had icy cold gola for dessert. She was exactly as I had visualised her, and much more. It was lovely meeting you, Ugich.
Chilled out totally over our trip, and was back home with a few weeks to spare before school re-opened. Soon after we were back, A had her birthday party.
And we made mango pickle at home- A helped in lot in the process.
We also had a long awaited meet of Saffrontree members from Bangalore at Artnavy's lovely home.
Then there were the usual round of dentist, doctor, etc., shopping for school, and here we are. School has started!

18 comments:
Enjoyed reading this ! In all my years of living here in Mumbai, I doubt if I have done so many things in one month ! Good going !
Sounds like a well-rounded, delightfully delicious summer, Sandhya...from watching plays, going to temples, reading books, to lots of time with family, and last but not the least, some yummy food there you have mentioned - wow!! Learned lot of new things...my ears always perk up whenever I hear names of different foods from around the country and the world. Goda Masala - so intriguing! :)
not to miss the perfectly pretty pickle picture! :)
Wow, really a fun-filled summer vacation. I really like the header pic of the pickle.
A fruitful month indeed! (pun intended ;)). Sounds like absolute bliss, all of it. Plays and regional language movies (sigh)
First of all....did you have to do a header like that? I'm a sucker for pickles and my mouth is watering at 11pm!! :P
Loved all the busy-ness and fun described in the post!!
Jumped here from your email. Lovely read - you seem to have accomplished a lot! I have a close Marathi friend, so eager to show off some of the names & terms to her:) The same reason why some sounded familiar to me. Made a mental note of the movies, very interesting! Here, we are just winding down school and kickstarting our summer! Good luck to A for another great school year!
@Ugich Konitari: Thanks. I, too, never managed to pack in so much when I lived in Mumbai all those years ago. Same goes for Bangalore. The first time I really took a tour of the city was when we had visitors: house-guests who wanted to explore Bangalore. We travelled so much more when we were out of the country- as we knew we were going to come back, and wanted to see as much as possible!:)
@Prabha: Thanks, and welcome here. I really miss hearing my mother-tongue here. One reason why I so want A to learn and experience it in whatever form possible- so I make it a point to speak only Marathi at home as much as possible, read books in Marathi to her- our culture is so intricately woven with the language we speak; we lose a lot of it if we let go of our language.
I wonder if I am making any sense with that statement?
@Vibha: Thanks. I love making pickles- and use my grandmother's recipes.:)
@Arundhati: Thanks. I make it a point to watch as much of those as possible when I go there. In fact, if there is a good play running, my mother/sis-in-law waits for me to go for it if I have any plans of going there on the cards.
I also pick up VCDs/DVDs of those exceptional movies that I may have missed. Am not a great movie-goer, but some of these Marathi movies are worth it.:)
@Starry: Thanks! Mumbai, the city itself makes one feel so energetic, inspite of the absymal weather. And with family and friends- it is always such fun, na?
Pickle header- glad it made your mouth water. That WAS the intention!:)
@Meera: Thanks, and welcome to my space.
It was pretty hectic, but we really enjoyed ourselves. I know what you mean. I owe a lot of what I know about South Indian food to my friends and neighbours here, and pass off for an authority (!?) on sambar-rasam-gojju etc. back in Mumbai! :)
Wow, an action and fun packed vacation. Love Mumbai and now will know what to do, so what if we won't really understand the language. We would go and see a Romanian play at RangaShankara, no?! :-D
Want pickle. Can exchange for brownies that come out very well, if I say so myself. Internet recipe - no credit to me. What say to meet up? I have been yelling my head off for a long time now....you guys just come now, okay?! Okay!
The pickle is such a teaser..my mouth is watering !! Really enjoyed reading your post and glad that it was so fun filled !!
Sangi - what brownies? Eggless please.
Sandhya: where is my pickle?
(Rest of the post - please adopt me)
@Sangi: We seem to be meeting at places where things like pickle and brownies cannot exchange hands. So let's do something about it now that school has started. I want those brownies. Will take it offline.
And yes, it the langusge should not matter while viewing quality stuff- most of it is sub-titled anyway, people having realised it is world class. For the rest, body language should do it- esp. in cases like the dance-drama I have written about. One needs no knowledge of language to understand it.
@Ranjani: Thanks. It was meant to make your mouth water!:)
@Chox: Yes, yes, promise to treat us to your yummy home-made food and I promise you samples of all my pickles. Yes, even the one that you missed out on last time.:)
And as for adopting- let's adopt each other. I am equally amazed at all that you guys manage to get done!
Post a Comment