Have been in a depressive phase for some time, with headaches, crying spells and impatience towards A. Other than the de-cluttering in progress, I needed to have a break. So when this dear friend who has a special child invited me to a picnic to Lalbaug for special children attending school at the Spastics Society, I jumped at the chance. It was going to be on 'my time' too- after A left for school to before she came back, so that I would not inconvenience anyone.
Reached the friend's home by 10am, and together we proceeded to Lalbaug. I am usually quite diffident around new faces, but she more than made up for it with her exuberance. And I met a whole bunch of mothers with their children, and teachers and volunteers at the school, with not one glum face among them. There was so much joy and contentment that they radiated inspite of their troubles, which, as I know because of my friend, are not small. It is a daily fight with the inevitable, and a lot of need for inner strength.
They were all so welcoming to a stranger in their midst, just the fact that I was a friend of one of them was reason enough. In no time I was chatting away to a lot of them. Later my friend told me that one of the ladies I bonded with a lot had lost her 14 yr old daughter just 2 mnths ago, and was now a volunteer at the school as she saw her child in all the other children with similar problems!
I certainly came away with a different perspective. Sometimes we need to be hit hard on the head to be able to appreciate our blessings!
Reached the friend's home by 10am, and together we proceeded to Lalbaug. I am usually quite diffident around new faces, but she more than made up for it with her exuberance. And I met a whole bunch of mothers with their children, and teachers and volunteers at the school, with not one glum face among them. There was so much joy and contentment that they radiated inspite of their troubles, which, as I know because of my friend, are not small. It is a daily fight with the inevitable, and a lot of need for inner strength.
They were all so welcoming to a stranger in their midst, just the fact that I was a friend of one of them was reason enough. In no time I was chatting away to a lot of them. Later my friend told me that one of the ladies I bonded with a lot had lost her 14 yr old daughter just 2 mnths ago, and was now a volunteer at the school as she saw her child in all the other children with similar problems!
I certainly came away with a different perspective. Sometimes we need to be hit hard on the head to be able to appreciate our blessings!
6 comments:
totally agree with the last line.
Hang in there - if you are feeling bad, then that is important too. AND a different perspective is nice. I would still try and address the reasons that made you feel bad in the first place. And you know you have friends whenever you want to vent?
Hugs!
Second Sangi. Of course it helps to have gratitude and appreciation, but what's bothering you, is still bothering you, so better to get to the bottom of it, coz it'll keep coming back up anyway!
Hugs!
Thanks, ladies.
The problem is something that I've been battling with for many years now, and solving it is beyond my control. I've been successfully pushing it to the back of my mind, though, and getting on with life. It does get the better of me at times, and those are bad times for me. It just cripples me emotionally at times. I just need to my space at such times, and I'll bounce back. I've more or less resigned myself to it, but I know I have friends who are with me if need be. Thanks.
Hugs!
Thanks, Sangi. I need them.
Post a Comment