Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

17 February, 2011

A need to de-clutter

Been feeling quite low for some time now, and one of the reasons was an accumulation of clutter. So I have been on a de-cluttering mission, at least as far as things are concerned. Maybe when I have my surroundings under control, I'll be able to examine cluttered feelings and go on to do some cleansing there.

So I decided to methodically attack one room at a time, one aspect at a time. I've gone through A's wardrobe, and have packed five large shopping bags with old clothes, some of which will be passed on to her younger cousin, the only other girl in the extended family. The rest has been already handed over to a friend who does some work at an orphanage, so that it is of use to someone. And so that it is already out of my sight, so that I'm not tempted to re-sort it to save some pieces. I've already put 2-3 old favourites of A's in another box where I have been storing, for sentimentality's sake, those that I want to hand over to her when she's "all growed up!"

The same has to be done with mine and the husband's things, the kitchen, and of course, my book collection. There are quite a few books, I'm sure, that we no longer need to keep, after having read them and outgrown them. The school library or any other library would be my preference for passing these on, more to spread the joy. Friends who want to pick up from those are more than welcome. Although there will certainly be those that I'll not be able to relinquish, and I'll have to somehow find a way to put them away without resorting to piling them around the walls in every room.

After I finish with that, I'll need to put all papers in order. I have a tendency to be untidy, and any paper letter, bill, or such goes into one of the chest of drawers. I seriously need to sort these out, too, and throw out stuff that is redundant.

Maybe I'll feel a bit better then. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

starry eyed said...

All the best. New and better stuff only comes in when you make place for it! Somehow when we let go, we become more open.

Vibha said...

I guess the 'de-cluttering' mood is in the air. Guess, its related to the arrival of spring :)

Sangitha said...

You have all my wishes for great luck. Know what you mean about decluttering things and therefore the mind/life. It works!

That said, would love to pick some from your book collection..esp. anything kiddie, if you are okay with that?

sandhya said...

Thanks, Starry, Vibha, Sangi. Yes, it could be the spring, but it has been bothering me for some time now, pulling me down, and needs to be attended to. It has come to the point now where I cannot find something quickly enough, leading to more stress. And I did feel a bit better after giving away those clothes. I need to become more ruthless about sorting these things, though. I am too sentimental about so many things, and end up hoarding them.
And yes, Sangi, I'm planning to have a get-together at my place AFTER I finish all this, which looks like a long process. You can surely pick up whatever you like then, before I give the rest away to some library. There will be quite a few books for grown-ups too.

artnavy said...

de cluttering books - wow u must really be in the mood then!!

count me among the friends who would love to have the books you think my girls would enjoy...