Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

02 November, 2012

Trips, books, friends, anniversaries and much else

I haven't posted for a long time now: my previous two posts had been scheduled. I had been busy with a lot of things that needed my attention. Just a quick re-cap.

A went on an 8-day school trip in early October. This is the first time that we had stayed away from each other for so long. In a way it was harder on me than it was on her. Children look forward- their life is just beginning, and everything that happens is just a new and interesting thing that is welcomed with open arms. As the Lebonese poet-philosopher Khalil Gibran has said, "...their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams." It is so much tougher on us mothers- so difficult to let go. I coped by making a trip to Mumbai, to my parents' place.

There, I met the wonderful R's Mom. This was a long awaited meeting. I've been reading her work for many months now, bumping into her at many friends' blogs, but had connected with her as one book-loving-mommy-blogger to another quite recently. She was all that I had imagined and much more. We met at a mall near my parents' place, she being so sweet as to make the longer journey from her home. What began as a couple of hours' meeting in the morning stretched far beyond the afternoon as we yakked away, until our rumbling stomachs got us to go get some lunch. There was of course a bit of book-shopping thrown in.

**********************************************************

CROCUS 2012 has just ended, and has thrown up a wonderful mix of Math and Eco-Science books that are now added to my wish-list. It has been six wonderful years of Saffron Tree, of which I have been a contributor for the last two-and-a-half years. During CROCUS, we had sent out a call for book donations for a cause- for an NGO KRANTI that works for a marginalised section of society, children of sex-workers.

Speaking of anniversaries, PaperTigers has a wonderful10th anniversary giveaway: a drool-worthy set of books. Do visit them and check out how you can win these books for yourself / your library. The giveaway is open for entry until midnight PST of Saturday, 10th November.

************************************************************

A few of my articles were published on Women's Web. An article on Handling Parenting Peer Pressure that speaks of the pressure parents feel when faced with anther's parenting style that somehow feels better or cooler. An article about 5 family rituals for diwali that could be fun times with the kids. And this review of a book that deals with a women's issue that is not unknown to urban women. Quoting:

"We are often led to believe in the myth of innocence and simplicity in rural life. Our movies and popular literature often perpetuate this myth; but P. Sivakami debunks it in The Taming Of Women.

A gritty, hard-hitting and relentlessly abrasive novel, the book is a very realistic portrayal of life in a village on the way to developing into a town. The violence is just below the surface, boiling over at times, and overwhelming the reader.

The book offers a striking insight into the minds of the women – who are often pitted against each other in their battle for supremacy, yet co-operate at the unlikeliest of places to stand up against the man who leaves no stone unturned to subdue them."

***************************************************************

One last thing before I conclude- November is celebrated internationally as Picture Book Month. You may want to check out the wonderful posts over at Zoe's blog Playing by the Book all through this month.

Do check out these lovely picture book giveaways there, too.

Even though our reading here has moved beyond picture books, there are a few classics that we keep revisiting. As also some newer ones that are still relevant. Do check out the stuff in your own book-shelves that is worth re-reading!

9 comments:

R's Mom said...

Awww! we had so much fun na..all that talking heheheh :) and lovely book browsing :)

Did A like that book?

Thanks for the paper tigers website link..I have been following it for a while now thanks to A's book shelf :)

so wanted to comment on the crocus posts, but work got better of me :(

Marjorie said...

Thank you for highlighting our Giveaway, Sandhya. And I empathise with your feelings when A was away on her trip.

sandhya said...

@RM: Yes, it was great meeting you. A liked the book you gave for her- she browsed through it, and it has been placed in her to-be-read list.

And it is a wonder you comment so promptly despite your busy schedule. I'll place you alongside Choxbox with your energy and enthusiasm.

sandhya said...

@Marjorie: Thanks for your comment. I love reading what PaperTigers has to offer every time - I learn so many new things.

Which reminds me: I need to sit down one day and review all the books that we have been reading for the Reading the World Challenge 2012. It is almost the end of the year.

Sangitha said...

An eventful month-like year? A lot is being squashed into the time you have - you're pretty amazing!

Loved that it rained math at Crocus. :-D Chox also mentioned Penrose, shall have to take a look at the books for myself. If only we had an unlimited budget for books!!!

I loved the WW articles as well. Great going, Sandhya!

sandhya said...

Thanks, Sangi. Means a lot coming from you.

You know you can always borrow books from me. :)

Padmini said...

Lovely read sandhya :):) thnk u for opening some more newness to my world :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all those links. I have to go read all those articles. :)

Glad you had a nice time meeting up with RM.

sandhya said...

@Padmini, thegalnxtdoor: Thanks.