Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

16 August, 2012

The Harry Potter Chronicles 9

Today is day 5 of Harry Potter week over at Zealot Readers. Check out this review of HP 5 by A.

********************************************************

At 766 pages(first edition, 2003, Bloomsbury), this is the longest book in the series, followed by the next two books, both having 607 pages in their first editions. It is also a very complex and detail intensive book.
We see Rowling, too, growing as a writer as the language, plot and characters become more complex, and more suited to an older readership. A lot of people began reading the series as 6 to 10 year olds. Sometimes older. Themes from HP 4 onward are darker, and sometimes incomprehensible by younger children. A case can be made here about too much, too soon. With A, I let her acclimatize to the changes in tone and did not let her rush into the later books. In fact, we began at the age of 8, that too, read aloud by me. That way, we enjoyed savouring the experience together: I was re-reading. We took a necessary break after HP 4, and took it a bit easy from there, taking the time to let some things sink in and understood. The series are too wonderful to just 'finish reading for the sake of it'. There is so much to learn and appreciate.

******************************************************
Right at the beginning, we encounter the vagaries of politics.

In HP 1, Harry had not yet made a mark beyond his history, so he was largely left alone by the powers that be.

In HP 2, he had been noticed as a possible adversary to the dark wizards, hence the 'plot'. After having proved his mettle at the end of that book, and restored Hogwarts' reputation as a safe place he had become 'someone to contend with'.

Hence, in HP 3, he got the full protection of the ministry to keep him safe from 'mass murderer Sirius Black'.

In HP 4, there is still a lingering protection from politicos and bureaucrats, camaraderie, even. Unfortunately, he appears at the end of the Triwizard tournament sobbing and injured, with the dead body of another student, and with an unlikely story of Voldemort having returned.

So, in HP 5, we see that those who know him well believe him. Hence the protection arranged for by Dumbledore. The ministry, however, goes into denial and makes things difficult for him. Political will also hoists someone from the ministry onto the school, Dolores Umbridge, the person more hated than even Voldemort.     

4 comments:

R's Mom said...

Thats another thing with HP..the right age to read book 3 onwards...I remember a 'debate' err..may be thats not the right word, rather an interaction between you Sangi and Chox on this topic about the right age to start on Sangi's blog...I dont recollect her post though...

My Amma's neighbour in Goa is a voracious reader and she turned 11 last year. Her mom is another voracious reader but she was a bit reluctant to let the girl proceed beyond book 4. She felt her daughter needs to be at least 12 to start out book 5. Of course the girl pleaded and pleaded and then her mom was like 'okie' and the girl borrowed my book 5 with glee and loved it :)

This girl I must admit devours Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys, Enid Blytons like crazy..give her a minute of free time and she is with a book :) infact, your A reminds me of her :)

But I do agree that its no point making young kids read the book without understanding them..there is too much they will lose out then...I must admit that I actually understood the end of part 7 only after the third time I read it!

Umbridge - Gosh! she is a character na! LOL on her being the person more hated than even Voldemort :)

Mathangi said...

Hey came across here through RM's blog. Wonderful analysis of the HP series and nice discussion between you and RM.
I am another Potter crazy and have re-read the series about 3 times and I hope to join the party.
And RM, regarding the movies, they are not bad. The initial movies, saved the flavor of the book but as it went ahead, and the fanfare increased, it also started becoming commercial.
However, the final 2 movies, I felt were huge letdown. Because the concentration was more on graphics rather than details. The most import part of the memories which Harry and Dumbledore travel together to find out about the horcruxes are totally not there at all! Surprising na.. The end also left me with a bitter feeling.
But still they are a one time watch and are not really bad

sandhya said...

@RM: I loved Bobbsey twins, too, as a child, and the Chalet School stories. Haven't seen them around for years!

sandhya said...

@Mathangi: thanks. Do read all the other HP posts when you can. It is always nice to have a new POV.

I am a bit of a purist, as far as books go, and was not very happy with the movies myself. Though they do have their value. A few of A's friends not much into books were enamoured of HP after having watched the movies, and they have read the books since.

As for the movies, I'm glad Rowling kept some control over how they were made, and has succeeded in preserving the quintessential British-ness of the series. Try to imagine the nightmare of having the stories in Archie or High School Musical format if the Americans had had their way. That is certainly a saving grace, as are the scintillating performances by some of the actors. I had a grudging respect for Snape on reading the books, but Alan Rickman's Snape made me fall for the character. There can be no-one else perfect as Snape!

Now, if Rowling sells the rights of her books to BBC, they will certainly do a much better job, and if they serialise it, we could incorporate all the details that have been left out.:)