A fresh new year means a new set of the uniform, new books, new classrooms, new class-teachers, new classmates, a new sitting arrangement, new rules, new extra-curriculars,...the list could go on.
We have a size issue with our uniform, as A falls into a size between the one assigned for her age, and the one below it. So we have to necessarily make do with a size a tad too large for a few months until the inevitable growth spurt combined with the (also inevitable) shrinkage of the fabric finally makes it fit over the second half of the year. I have a bone to pick with this year's set, though. What prompted the school to introduce formal trousers a certain grade onwards, when they already had such comfortable and serviceable track-pants till now? And why the change in the design of the skirt? The earlier one was smarter, IMO. And what's with the sweater in place of the jacket? Now one has to choose between shivering without it, or cooking with it, on days that are pleasantly cool. With the jacket, one could just put it on and keep it unzipped if it wasn't so cold. :(
The books seem interesting, with more focus on 'think and answer' and research oriented questions in the exercises. We recognised quite a few of the chapters and poems from the English books as excerpts from books we already have/ have read. Math is getting interesting now, as is science. There is certainly going to be more work this year, but it promises to be interesting. We just need to start focusing. Something that has been a work-in-progress for a long time now.
The problem of peers. That, too, has been a work-in-progress for a long time, now. As A tends to put it, she isn't cool enough for her peers, what with her propensity to prefer reading over all the other pursuits of the cool gang. We have a self-esteem issue here that we have been tackling for over half-a-decade now. Keeping fingers crossed.
Extracurriculars seem interesting with theatre and violin classes in the offing. As also the Indian classical vocals after school classes.
Reading? Yes, we plan to a lot of that this year too. Some of it as an adjunct to the curriculum, but most of it not.
Looking forward to a new year of learning and living life.
****************************************************
Met UTBT, fellow blogger and a wonderful and hugely talented co-contributor at Saffrontree. Finally. This was her second visit to my city. Choxbox managed to meet her the first time she was here. I missed her then on account of the kid's birthday party.
She is an elfin lady, and every bit as lively and witty as she comes across online. Have just received a gift sent by her through flipkart. Seems like she has taken the hugo-mungous hint I gave here! The parcel was grabbed by both hands and ripped open immediately...
Thank you, UTBT! We love the thoughtful gift! Cannot wait for the kid to come home from school and show it to her.
******************************************************
My house-help had been ill for the past two weeks. She had been ill on-and-off for a couple of days at a time over the past two months. I kept urging her to go to her doctor and get some treatment, to which she would say yes and ignore my advice. So this time when she became ill enough to not come for three days at a stretch (Amma is a dedicated, conscientious worker, who has been with me for many years now, and is my Woman Friday), I decided to take things into hand. I took her to the clinic we go to for minor maladies, one which has a reasonably well-equipped path lab.
After I spent a good half-hour acting translator between a Malayalam-Hindi-English speaking doctor and a Kannada-Telagu speaking Amma, miming some medical arguments my pidgin Kannada couldn't express, we got her to agree to a blood and urine test that she was mortally frightened of. The doctor gave her some tablets for symptomatic relief while we waited a day for the lab results.
Amma disappeared from the next day. There was no response to my phone calls to her home- the phone consistently happened to be 'out of reach'. Finally, I made my way to her house, and found an Amma who was now asymptomatic, but very weak. Her lab results and the doctors diagnosis mandated a course of antibiotics- it was a low-grade infection, that nevertheless popped up intermittantly, and was curable by a suitable course of antibiotics: an opinion with which I concurred.
Amma just could not be convinced as to the need for further medication. After all, she no longer had the symptoms, though still weak from hypoglycemia as she had not eaten properly over the last few days due to a lack of appetite and fear of throwing up. I finally made her see sense after enlisting the help of two other ladies at whose homes she works as well as at mine. We now see that she has her morning dose at my place, as she eats lunch here, and hope that she has the other dose at home after dinner! Doing some of her work myself for some time, until she has recovered completely!
Again, fingers crossed. I owe much of my free time to her attention to my home.
8 comments:
Gosh this uniform changing is such a pain na :( Even R's PE uniform changed and most parents werent even informed about it..and to top that, there is only one approved store to buy their uniforms,which means everyone goes there, fights, those guys throw attitude..aiyo its a post in itself!
I just hope A doesnt get too upset about the peers not appreciating the reading bug in her...its such a wonderful habit!
=====
That book sounds interesting :)
===
you are such a nice person Sandhya..not too many people would do that..infact apart from my parents, I dont know ANYONE who has done this earlier! you rock!
hope your househelp gets back to normal soon
Thanks, R's Mom. You are so good for my ego!:)
The book indeed seems interesting, and has long been chased by me. Read about that in this post by me http://arightowrite.blogspot.in/2012/05/chasing-hugo-experience-of-murphys-law.html
When I was a child, my school, too, subscribed to one particular fabric shop, and we had to go there a month before school re-opened to have our measurements taken, so that they could stitch the uniform set. You reminded me of that.
You took your helper to the doc and followed up by going to her house?! *respect*
Elfin-eh? Lol at grabbing with both hands. Can totally understand. I have ordered Some books from Amazon US, a friend is bringing it to Mumbai and shipping it to me. So I am waiting anxiously!
Thr child has shown off Ruskin Bond's autograph to all her peers. I felt a little sad as many did not know Ruskin Bond. Thank you so much. The little one researched the signature and gasped, 'Amma, this is not print. I can see ink on ghe back page. He did it with a real pen!' :)
@UTBTkids: She has been with us for a long time now, and is a little like extended family. :)
LOL at child's detective work!
You are such a kind person.. but I knew that already. No wonder P considers you his friend :) Am so glad I know you.
P read around 200 books the last couple of months, inspite of the fact we were out n about half the time. I'm so happy. And now he doesn't think reading isn't cool (I hope that lasts no matter what his peers say). All it took was access to a *good* library. My dream is to take him to a Disneyland like place with books as the theme - only there isn't a place like that.. yet. One can always hope!
Finally watched Hugo - at home from a friend's collection of movies. It was wonderful...the book must be even better.
p.s.: Son's now reading all the Roald Dahl's, having finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mathilda. Am so over the moon that he's over the hump on chapter books, Sandhya. Thanks for holding my hand through this one! He wants to read them all now and I am supplying in a huge hurry! :-D
Looking forward to the DVD release of the movie in India in late July.
Thumbs-up for Son's reading! Any supplies required- you just have to ask.
@Arundhati: thanks.
"My dream is to take him to a Disneyland like place with books as the theme - only there isn't a place like that.. yet. One can always hope!" Amen to that!
And please give P a hug from friend aunty.
Post a Comment