So first we take a plain white T-shirt. We lay it flat on a whole sheet of newspaper, so that the floor does not get painted. We also fold another sheet of newspaper and slide it gently between the front and back of the T-shirt. Prevents carbon-copy-like effects on the back. Also helps if one wants to do some other artwork on the back.
Next, one decides what one wants to paint. The child was keen on the Sorting Hat, so the Sorting Hat it was.
So she drew an outline of the sorting hat on a sheet of stiff paper and cut it out. Then she placed it where she wanted it on the T-shirt and traced out the outline.
Next, one proceeds to draw the top of Harry's head just below the Hat, complete with round framed glasses, unruly hair, scar on the forehead and tightly closed eyes, worried about which House he would be sorted into. "Not Slytherin, not Slytherin", he says, as the Hat wonders where he is to be placed.
Then we proceed with the fabric paint, and fill in the picture we have just drawn. The Hat shouts out GRYFFINDOR!!!
Capturing this moment just as the Hat shouts, and before Harry reacts too it, eyes still tightly closed!
9 comments:
awesommmme!
Lovely. Like the effect of it on the edge....space for imagination! Very nice.
okay first time commenting here...came to you from the Mango entry at Tulika..
but but..totally impressed...I am a big big HP fan..and this one is so awesome...I would LOVE to have such a t shirt...wish I had the artist in me to draw something so awesome..
Waiting for the brat to grow a little older and perhaps try out something like this :)
so, do you take orders?? :):)
Thanks, ladies! Of course. It helped that it was a lazy afternoon's activity. Kept her occupied for a good couple of hours!
In fact, Westside has these awesome plain T-shirts for Rs 200 (this is one of those) that can be made into anything. We've collected a bunch of captions, and soon we'll have a few hand made T-shirts. Maybe one done every school holiday. We had T-shirt painting as one of the activities at her birthday party recently, and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it, coming up with such wonderful work.
Hi, R's Mom. Welcome here. I've been reading your blog on and off too- have encountered you at many blogs we both frequent. Thanks for your comment.
I'll certainly pass the appreciation on to the artist.
How old is R?
R turned 4 end of May..and yes may be I can try this with her, but just a bit confused on how exactly do I get the right caption and design...
Please tell your daughter that I would LOVE to wear that t shirt :)
R's Mom: This one has been painted in free-hand, with the hat cut-out to get the outline right. You can explore the possibilities of using stencils with R. There are stencils available at major stationery stores. A has a book in spiral binding called 'Lettering Fun' that has glossy pages having pictures and alphabets in fun fonts, with stiff plastic sheets between the pages, having the same cut-out stencils as the opposing page. We often use it for such work. Makes things simple with younger children. One just needs to decide on the placement of the pictures on the fabric/ paper to be painted!
Absolutely lovely, Sandhya! Just love the way you've captured the moment Harry is sorted into Gryffindor! I can't wait to see the other HP shirts you make...
Sheela.
Thanks, Sheela. I'll pass on the compliments to the artist, A!
Post a Comment