![]() |
| Link here to the CSAAM blog |
In my erstwhile career as a medico (I haven't worked as one for many years now), I worked to a certain extent with drug abusers. So I can guarantee to my readers that I am not talking through my hat.:)
There is a decided statistical correlation between age of initiation to smoking and the risk of hardened drug abuse in later life. It has both the physiological aspect, where receptors need higher dosages and stronger drugs to attain the same high, and the psychological aspect of things getting more easily out of hand at a younger age, when a sense of responsibility has not yet matured, and it is more difficult to differentiate between the right and wrong of anything.
Let me share this link, that discusses this in detail.
Psychologically speaking, the same thing applies to 'that tingly feeling'. Very young children cannot necessarily differentiate between fingers and toes and private parts. They do, however, in their explorations, realize that it feels all 'tingly' when they touch say their penis or vagina. It feels good, so they do it more. And they also indulge in exploration with other children.
Now, these children, even when they are older, say 8-9, still do not understand the implications of touching their private parts, and may do so in full public view. This can be misconstrued by older kids or adults as precocious behavior, and put them more at the risk of sexual abuse.
Also, the 'tingly feeling' feels good. So why not try something else? That something else can be dangerous, as children cannot very well discern risky behaviour from the non-risky. That can hurt, damage, cause unwanted infections, lead to teenage pregnancies, or can even, in extreme cases, prove to be fatal. Not to mention the psychological damage it can cause.
Again, the explorations can become addictive, and as with drug addictions, an early onset of these behaviours can lead to actual precocious behaviour and often to unhealthy sexual behaviour as the child grows up. It can also lead to sex addiction or porn addiction, which further leads to unrealistic expectations from partners and the self. Which can, in turn, lead to unhappy/ unhealthy relationships.
Let me be clear here, that not every child who indulges in early sexual exploration goes down the above path. The correlation to high risk/ aberrant sexual behaviour is just too high statistically to disregard it.
Also, I am speaking only about self-exploration by the child, or mutual exploration by children. Not an adult-child equation, which is outright abuse.
As parents, of course, it is our job
to gently re-direct the explorations to something else (which can work in very young children),
to talk to our children about good touch-bad touch,
to educate them about keeping safe,
to keep communication channels open,
to be available if /when they want to discuss something with us - it could be school, peer pressure, bodily and/ or sexual matters, substance abuse, anything at all...
to network with their friends and friends' parents and
not lecturing them/ not clamping down on their behaviour, which may lead to the opposite happening. Make something a taboo, and it instantly becomes cool.

7 comments:
Excellent explanations.
hah. See, this is why I asked Sandhya. I knew she'd have the answer. And so I'm going to take all credit for picking the right person ;)
:) Thanks, Choxie, MM.
It is a big bad world out there, with less of the social checks our parents took for granted. Even then, we have not all turned out alright in every aspect of our lives. We new age parents just have to do our best, and hope for the best at the end of it.
Very neatly explained Sandhya. Will forward this post to other friends too.
Hey Sandhya, thanks for taking on the question. "The correlation to high risk/ aberrant sexual behaviour is just too high statistically to disregard it." Are there any studies that point to this with regard to sexual exploration in children? I would love to read up more on this.
The one thing I would disagree on is "This can be misconstrued by older kids or adults as precocious behavior, and put them more at the risk of sexual abuse." This same reasoning has been used in the "she was dressed for it" kind of arguments to excuse rape. If someone percieves any behaviour as an invitation, that is their perception and their problem. I don't think we should be prohibition behaviour on the grounds that someone might think you are sending out an invitation because then we are back at the telling girls how to dress because they might be percieved as inviting trouble kind of parenting.
@Vibha: Thanks. Good to have you comment - I know I've written something worthwhile when you do.:)
@The Bride: Thanks for commenting. Would certainly search for relevant studies and pass the link on if I find them.
I do not think my argument is a kind of victim blaming as it seems to be. Paedophiles, as we know, will strike irrespective of anything. So would rapists. It is a crime of power.
There is a difference, though. Children are vulnerable on account of their age and lack of knowledge or social implications of any actions. Even early teens may not have this insight into the danger that their actions may pose for them. After all, isn't the whole point of educating children about good-touch, bad-touch, staying safe, etc. to guard them against abuse by known/ unknown persons? So isn't our preventing them from being considered possible sexual beings by possible predators a precaution against sexual abuse?
And I include all children under this umbrella- girls AND boys. Who ever said only girls can be victims? :)
Post a Comment