Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

13 July, 2011

Of work, books and Harry Potter

So what have I been upto?

My house-help was on leave for many days due to seasonal illnesses in her house- first her daughter, then herself. I have just this one lady who comes to clean- washing vessels, sweeping and mopping. I have never had a full-time maid or cook- I do all the rest myself as a matter of course. But it is a real drag when I have to do the washing vessels and sweeping-mopping. Not really complaining, as it is my house, but one wishes it didn't have to be for so many days at a stretch. I did all of that when we were out of the India, of course, but then there were things like dish-washers and vacuum cleaners that made life easier, leaving one with enough time to pursue one's interests, and of course one was younger and nimbler!

Anyway, as a consequence I wasn't really upto blogging by the time all the chores were done. Reading- yes, I've been reading, of course. It was my way of unwinding.

I have been reading 3 books in parallel. One is In Search of Sita - Revisiting Mythology, edited by Namita Gokhale and Malashri Lal. An anthology of essays on and discussions about Sita, that much misunderstood and iconic figure from our epics.

Another is Looking for Enid - The mysterious and inventive life of Enid Blyton, by Duncan Mclaren. Biographical, but not your everyday biography. More a discussion on the incidents and influences in her life that made Enid, Enid, and the association of what was going on in her life with what she wrote then. An interesting read, one that was a must-read for a Blyton fan like me.

And the third is When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, by Judith Kerr. Autobiographical fiction, based on the real-life incidents during the childhood of the author, when her family fled from pre-Hitler Germany.

I would like to review all three books at length, in later posts, if I may.

What has A been reading? On her own, three books lent to her by Choxbox's FB. (I must read them before we return them, they seem to be delicious!) And more.
1. Play Time by Julia Donaldson.
2. Return of the Hundred Mile An Hour Dog, by Jeremy Strong.  Which made her want to get the prequel, The Hundred Mile An Hour Dog, which we did, and she read- with lots of giggles.
3. The Perfect Hamburger, by Alexander McCall Smith.
4. St Clare's series by Enid Blyton. And identifying with a lot of it- the friendships, the fights, the bickering, the feeling left-out, the dynamics in class with the teachers- she's in middle grade now, so she can really get under the skin of the characters and is really enjoying it. Although I do try to bring to her notice some of the politically incorrect things Enid Blyton writes, and how they may be wrong if imbibed!

Reading together- of course Harry Potter. We finished Half-Blood Prince around the end of the holidays, and are on the verge of finishing the last book, Deathly Hallows, - nicely in time for the last movie, which she wants to watch on the big screen. She wants to watch it with her friend, Choxbox's FB. Let us see how that works out.

Which brings us to the movie itself. We are so looking forward to it. I don't know when we will get to watch it, as this weekend is booked for something else already, but maybe next weekend? With A, and hopefully with Choxbox and her FB. I probably will watch it one more time, as I can't just watch it once. The trailor promises a great experience. How different it will be from the book, has to be seen.

Other than all this, A has been back at school for about 6 weeks now, and we have settled down to our routine more-or-less. Remember the homework monster? Well, we have been trying out charting, a time-table, and it has been working- somewhat. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the pointers, Starry!

A also had a music examination. She did OK according to her, and came out a bit bemused, as the examiner had been a little intimidating. She has been learning Hindustani Classical vocal music for a few years now. Much as I would like her to learn it purely for the love of music we all have, for the sake of the pleasure a knowledge of music can bring in her life, and the discipline such a training instills, her teacher would like to measure it by exams. So be it.

My househelp turned up for work since yesterday, and I immediately took the opportunity to make a visit to the ongoing Strand books sale at the Institute of Engineers on upto the 17th of July. It wasn't as great as it normally is. There was a lot of stuff for the preschool and early readers, plenty of Dr Seuss, Martin Waddell, Magic Tree House and such. Not much for A's age, not unless you count the Harry Potter books, Ruskin Bond, and Enid Blytons. We have a lot of those. There was also a whole load of Tulika books, but we have or have read most of that which were on display. So after spending some time in the children's section, I turned to the rest.

What did I pick up? These.

13 comments:

Choxbox said...

Yes we will go together! Yippee!

And that seems to be a delish pile of books :)

sandhya said...

Will call you.

BTW, A is looking forward to this friday. Hope it is still on. I can pick up the kid and get her home, and you can come later in the evening to get her. As late as possible.

Choxbox said...

Your namesake is in town starting today. Actually lemme call you right away.

Sangitha said...

Lovely books. I love the Nehru Letters book. And lovely picture....am going off to Blossoms today to renew soul with some browsing. Shall see and get some - the Stephen Hawking book sounds very interesting. Again to me, not thinking kids even!

starry eyed said...

Hey, glad the charting is working! We were supposed to start the second HP book on July 11th, her half-year birthday, but school tests inervened...still debating abt taking her for the movie. Gah! You'all haffun!

sandhya said...

@Sangi: The Nehru book looks good to me too. I read about it some time ago on your blog. I had picked up a copy for Chox's FB, and thought it would be great to have one handy at home too! The Stephen Hawking book is quite lucid, much more than I expected it to be. I think I Will understand some good stuff finally!
My personal 'find' in the pile was actually Pearl S. Buck's 'The Good Earth'- one that I've read in my impressionable youth, and would like to read again, and this one has a font good enough for my current eyesight. My old copy needs a magnifying glass!
Let us know what you found at Blossom. I need to go there sometime - I have a gift voucher to use there.

sandhya said...

@Starry: I'm keeping all my fingers AND my toes crossed re the charting. Send good vibes, please!
About HP, maybe we mothers can go to a show all by ourselves. I do not mind having multiple viewings!

Choxbox said...

S, i'd read Good Earth in my youth too. WOuld love to borrow your copy once you are done. Please pretty please.

Re the mommy movie plan, brunch @ Chez Choxbox first? Starry hasn't even been here yet.

Sangitha said...

Loved Good Earth. Remember crying without even figuring out why! She was an adoptive parent and established Welcome House for inter-racial adoptions in the early '50s, if my memory serves me right on dates.

Would love to go to the movie and if someone's feeding me, that's even better! :-D

sandhya said...

I didn't know she was an adoptive parent. Did a search on Google and looked it up!

Veena said...

Wow, nice loot! I miss Strand book sale..envy you

sandhya said...

@Choxbox: Come back soon and then let's set up a date. A and I have already accidentally watched the movie- her friend from school whose twin is a special child had a birthday party at which they screened the movie. But that wasn't so satisfying, and A is still looking forward to going for it with your FB, so we still have a date. AND if you are going to feed us all, we're always ready!:)

sandhya said...

@Veena: Thanks. Yes, it is, isn't it? I'm looking forward to working my way through them.