I am not a fitness freak...not by any stretch of imagination.
Walking is something I always loved doing, and would do plenty of it earlier - from walking to grocery stores, etc., to brisk 'morning walks' as part of a fitness routine.
We stayed near Lalbaug many years ago, before A was born, and walking in Lalbaug was a routine I loved. Every morning at 6, I would join the hordes of walkers out to get their daily fitness fix. The surroundings, of course, added to a rejuvenating experience.
Everywhere that we have lived, and travelled, be it the US, UK, or Japan, walking was high on our list. It was not such a big deal in the UK and Japan, as everyone walked on the streets, a LOT. In the US, though, it was a different matter. Walking on streets seemed to be a big no-no, at least in the places we had stayed in, (Places like New York city seem to be the exception!) and cars would zoom past us, the people inside probably wondering why we were walking. In fact, one of the places we were in (it was a small place in the deep south) for a while had no footpaths to speak of (or sidewalks as they are called there) except in the downtown area. Walking in such a place meant we had to find a park specifically to walk in. Not very safe.
We did, of course do a lot of 'touristy' walking. We would try and take any/ all hikes that any place had to offer. In fact, in the UK, I chanced upon a this book on walks in Britain, categorized by the level of difficulty. It was in a ringbinder, so that any particular walk we wanted to take could be taken out of the folder and put in a plastic cover provided for the purpose, to take with us on the walk. Of course it was snapped up, especially since I found it in an Oxfam shop, at a fraction of its original price. We took these walks with A in tow, the husband carrying her in a child-carrier on his back.
Back home, I continued my walking in the mornings, until four years ago when A began school in the morning. After she left for school, it felt too late to go out, as it would become too sunny and hot for comfort.
I tried different timings, even evening walks, but somehow it did not work. I was way too tired in the evening to really push myself, and walk long enough to my satisfaction, or even to enjoy the walk. I tried the gym routine- there is a rudimentary facility at my complex - but it didn't work for me. The mindless walking on a treadmill or excercise bicycle was not for me. I needed to be outdoors to sustain the effort.
I HAD to do something about it, and soon. I wasn't getting younger, and creaking joints, belly fat and a decided 'couch-potato' feel were making their presence felt. I also needed a stress-buster. I tried a bit of yoga, but that isn't something that one should try without proper training, or it could go seriously wrong.
Inertia! I convinced a friend in the complex to join me, so that we can motivate each other to keep at it. And as of the past 2 weeks, we have been walking for an hour every day after our kids AND husbands beat it at 7.30am. Enjoying it thoroughly.
The icing on the cake? A lady from ASDA, a dance and fitness training academy has started Zumba classes in our complex, and we had our first class yesterday. Nothing like fitness while moving to music. I'm sure some of us look a bit silly, like some of the kids doing zumba in this video, but hey, we enjoyed ourself!. And sweated out a lot. Worth it.
Am loving it!
10 comments:
Nice. It's a stress buster for sure. Wish I could be as consistent....that's my trouble, can do if I really try. But don't try as much as I should.
Zumba sounds like a lot of fun and I think I posted a comment to this post that got eaten up somewhere between me and you! :-D
Great going, keep it up. I love the bookmarks that A has made. What are these motifs that she has used? Has she painted them herself, what is the medium?
@Sangi: Thanks, but you've got it wrong, lady- I am not at all consistent, and really need to be. I hope this is something I stick to, as other regimes like gymming etc. fizzled out due to the boredom factor. Maybe music can keep me interested. Pull me up if I slip up, will you?
Blogger seems to have gobbled up your earlier comment, sorry! As usual I have no clue.:)
@Vibha: Thanks. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.
A has put stickers on those bookmarks.:) Nothing very ambitious. I wish! Regardless, we are both proud of how pretty they look.
Wow Sandhya. That's a nice start, Congratulations! There's nothing better than to be dancing your way to fitness. Zumba + Walking seems like a good combo. My workout consists of Running outdoors + Yoga and I find that combo very invigorating..Just started a few months back. I was never ever regular or motivated enough before this, but this time around, I started feeling listless when I don't workout and that's what keeps me going..
@Veena: Yes, that is what had started happening. I would feel so tired doing just the routine things. Exercising is certainly very energising. Not only that, but one also feels motivated to keep off junk whenever possible. Hope to keep at it this time.
I tried a bit of running a few years ago, but it didn't suit me. Blood would rush to my head with the effort and it would start pounding, as well as jarring the knees and ankles. There is not much turfed area around, and the paved/concretised areas are not suitable for impact.
I agree Sandhya, that nothing can beat outdoor walking in the mornings ! There is something about the little chill in the air, birds chirping and general quietness around, which make it a refreshing experience. Good luck with ur walking routine and Zumba sounds fun :-)
Exactly, Ranjani. Gives you a wonderful start to the day. Keep visualising a trimmer and fitter Sandhya so that I get good vibes from all of you!:)
I am exactly the same.... not consistent!! I try to walk every morning after N pushes off to school.But no other routine motivates me. Zumba is fun, I used to go for sometime while I was in the US. Hope I can sustain the walking atleast. I love the header!! - Simran
Thanks, Simran. I am enjoying the increased energy levels currently, so will be keeping at it.
Post a Comment