![]() |
| Nih-on in Kanji script |
First- go to this post by Zoe at playingbythebook.net for a link to helping out with relief measures for Japan.
On 11th March, 2011, an earthquake of magnitude 9.0 on the Richter scale hit Japan, triggering many aftershocks and a massive tsunami. Between them, and with the added nuclear disaster at Fukushima, Japan has probably its darkest time since the nuclear bombs dropped on them during WW2.
On 11th March, 2011, an earthquake of magnitude 9.0 on the Richter scale hit Japan, triggering many aftershocks and a massive tsunami. Between them, and with the added nuclear disaster at Fukushima, Japan has probably its darkest time since the nuclear bombs dropped on them during WW2.
Along with the rest of the world, we watched in horror as first the earthquake, and then the tsunami wreaked havoc in those very parts of the country which we had been to in our stay there. We were in Japan, in Tokyo about a decade ago, and I have many wonderful memories of the place and its people. I was in a new place, with no knowledge of the language. Even if I was an Asian myself, the culture was not very familiar, as the books I had read are usually western-centric. (Of course Pearl S. Buck has been a favourite writer, and her books on both Chinese and Japanese backdrops were a revelation, but I still found the culture unfamiliar.) Inspite of this, I did not have much difficulty finding my way around Tokyo, thanks largely to the extremely helpful nature of those I asked for help.
I was there with my husband, but he would be out at the office all day and would come home quite late. I was left to entertain myself, as those were the days before A was born. So the first thing I did was find a book store where I could get some information in English, including a map and books on Japan. With the help of that map, I have freely roamed the streets and sidelanes of much of Tokyo all on my own.
![]() |
| Akihabara at nightfall |
I would start off with my map every morning after the husband had left for the office, and I have explored much of Tokyo on foot and by subway- this links to almost all parts of the city, and is much like the subway in New York or London, (of which I have travelled twice in New York, and extensively in London.) with different lines connecting with each other.
I have found that Tokyo is a very safe city to be abroad in, and I never felt the fear that accompanies being alone in a metropolis like this. At least that was the case a decade ago. I have not felt that feeling of safety in any of the other similar metros- well, Mumbai felt safe till fifteen years ago when the riots of 1992 and the blasts of 1993 destroyed that feeling.
![]() |
| Shinkansen |
We also travelled a quite a bit outside Tokyo on week-ends and holidays. We took a trip by Tokaido Shinkansen (bullet train which travels at a speed of 250+ kms / hr) to Nagoya which is to the west of Tokyo and passed the Fujiyama (Mount Fuji-the symbol of Japan) on the way. We also visited the Fujiyama and climbed it partially on foot. Travelling by Shinkansen is an out of the world experience. At least it was to me, never having travelled at that speeds except by air. It begins with admiring the wonderfully streamlined shape of the train. Inside, it is as un-trainlike as it could be. And when the train is moving, one barely feels the motion except when passing through tunnels- or if one is looking out of the window and noticing that the landscape is just whistling by.
![]() |
| Nikko in the fall |
We travelled to the North of Tokyo to a beautiful place called Nikko in the Tochigi prefecture, just south of the Fukushima prefecture, so badly affected by last week's disaster. We went there by train, the Tobu line, which is much more like the trains here in India. Nikko is a hill station, with a lake surrounded on all sides by hills, and many Buddhist and Shinto shrines. We were there in fall, and it was absolutely beautiful. We took a long 5 hr hike there through beautiful woods with many waterfalls along the way.
As for the language, spoken Japanese has a certain cadence to it. I had not much occasion of conversing in the language, but I did learn a few key words- like 'moshimoshi' for hello and 'domoarigato' or 'domoarigatogozaimashta' for thank you or thank you very much, with much bowing.
![]() |
| MacDonalds written in Katakana |
I tried my hand at their script, too, but couldn't go furthur than just recognising which script is being used. Japanese has a pictorial language, and a script called Kanji is used for purely Japanese words with culturally local connotations. The Japanese word at the beginning of this post is Nihon or Nippon, which is the name of the Japanese for their country. The other scripts are Hiragana and Katakana. Hiragana is used to write native words for which there is no Kanji. Katakana, on the other hand, is used to write non-native words- those which Japanese has borrowed from outside or those which are absolutely foreign.
I aquired a taste for many things Japanese. I had a cousin who stayed in Tokyo at the time, and he introduced us to Karaoke. We also tried typically Japanese food, and loved it. One of my great memories is eating yum, crisp tempuras and yakitori, Japan's answer to street foods, with hot sake drunk from bamboo. Yes, you read that right- pieces of bamboo, cup sized, which could hold a liquid. I have saved them, and still have them with me. I also learnt about ko-cha and o-cha, and the right way of drinking it-- green tea, for which I developed a taste at this time.
It was a lovely stay in a wonderful country, with the lush natural beauty, ultra-modern gagetry, (one has to be inside one of their well fitted and compact houses with unusual space-saving methods to believe it! I had thought it was part of the sci-fi lore of Japan till then.) and gracious people. No matter what is being said by nasty people or people who have suffered due to the Japanese in wars the world over about the country, in this darkest of its hours, I have good memories of them. After all, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so atrocities have always been committed in the name of war, and all of those pointing fingers at Japan now are not 'doodh-se-dhule' either.
Even the way I said good-bye to Japan has been memorable. I was travelling back alone, as the husband had to wrap up some things, and I needed to be back for a wedding in the family. It was a pre-dawn flight, and soon after take-off, the eastern horizon began to lighten. My window faced the east, and I could see the sun rising in all it's glory- and as my plane moved towards the west, it remained sunrise for the longest period of time- much longer than if it had been seen from the ground. It has remained the Land of the Rising Sun in my mind.





7 comments:
Lovely post - had no idea you had been to Japan. Your descriptions are great. My sister is a huge japanophile. She was meant to be going for 3 weeks in May/June - but to exactly the area in the North which is most badly hit :-( Thanks to linking to Playing by the book.
Lovely post S, all of it esply the end.
Lovely post. We have some connections through people who have visited home through dad's work. And son's favourite food is Japanese - he asked for it on his last birthday (favourite food even before he tasted it...). This is really sad. A friend and I are thinking of getting an FB page together to see if we can provide a home (people who are interested can volunteer) to people for a bit, until they stabilize.
Wonderful post S...what a beautiful picture of Japan,you have painted.
Ranjani
Thanks, Zoe, Choxbox, Sangi, Ranjani.
It is a very sad thing that has happened, and yes, I will stand behind them. It is a beautiful country, with very gracious people, and I have only very good memories of them. People have said so many ugly things about them. I am sure a few of them have a history behind them, and if I am horrified by the holocaust, I am equally horrified by the massacre the Japanese army did in Nanking in the late 1930s. But then, aren't the so called custodians of righteousness that are speaking up against Japan in its hour of need also a party to similar atrocities being committed even today in other parts of the world? So how can they sit in judgement? And some of these comments are purely racist.:(
"Whenever I wandered the winter streets alone, though, Kyoto still aroused in me a surge of unaccountable elation: even in winter the skies were unreasonably blue, and the days had a bright, invigorating chill that seemed to admit of no despair. In Japan, there was truly a sense of a culture calmly on the rise, in possession of itself and buoyant, and the mild air itself felt cleansed of cynicism and decay."
(Pico Iyer)
@Jay: Welcome to my space.
That is a beautiful quotation by Pico Iyer. I am aware of his very spartan and peaceful life in Japan. Truly a place to be in for an apostle of the Zen way of life.
Post a Comment