What's that, you say?
*Spoiler Alert*
Well, we just finished our reading aloud of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix', with a lot of distress through the last few chapters. She was quite upset at the ending of book 4 more because of the death there, and the gory details of Lord Voldemort's return. I was a bit hesitant about reading book 5 to her. She however, wanted to continue. I warned her that things are not so easy now on, and that there were parts she might find upsetting. She insisted that she could handle it. So we did.
A did get a bit upset around the part Mr Weasely gets attacked. We had to stop for a bit and many discussions later we continued. Things were fine till the part where Sirius falls behind the veil. She did not want to continue for almost a week, after which she came to me and asked me to finish the book. I waited for the questions, but the only thing she said was that she was sad that Harry had become an orphan again. We had quite a bit of discussion on that point, and I think A has made her peace with it.
We finished the book, but at her request, and because I know she is not ready to handle book 6, we are holding off Ms Rowling's awesome books, for some time, at least. As a very dear friend of hers, with whom she regularly discusses the books she reads put it, we are not continuing with Harry Potter right now because "A is cross with J.K.Rowling for what happenned to Sirius."
Does that mean that we will be wrapping up our read-aloud sessions? Not by a long shot! We both enjoy them too much for that, and are a lovely means of spending time together, bonding, doing what we both love to do.
I have always read to A since she was old enough to sit on my lap and look at the pages of a book. So some time back, we had decided to read classics for children in the original together, and proceeded to read through Anna Sewell's Black Beauty, (she's re-reading it on her own currently) Edith Nesbit's Five Children and It, and Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. At the completion of which she expressed a desire to start with Harry Potter. So the classics were kept aside for later, and the rest, as one would say, (to paraphrase a well known expression) was magic.
So now that the boy wizard has been put on the back burner, I was wondering what to start with. A solved the question for me herself.
Last year I had picked up a leatherbound with a cloth finish volume of 'The Complete Chronicles of Narnia.' The cloth finish is a rich wine-red one, and feels velvety to the touch. The edges of the pages are gold, which, as A says, is 'cool!' I have an issue with the font, though, as it is a tad too small than what I usually favour for kids' books. The book comes in a box which has the same rich red lining. I got it at a sale for an extremely good discount, wouldn't have been able to afford the original price. Of course I snapped it up. I had done my reading of the Narnia tales from the library. I thought it would be a good thing to pick up her own copy for A, and this one is a collectible, much better than the boxed set of seven volumes. She is, of course thrilled with it.
We have already finished the first book- 'The Magician's Nephew,' and yes, A loved it. Can't wait to begin with 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe', my personal favourite. I love the character of Aslan.
So folks, wish us happy reading. Will keep you updated.
![]() |
| Pic courtesy amazon.co.uk |
Well, we just finished our reading aloud of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix', with a lot of distress through the last few chapters. She was quite upset at the ending of book 4 more because of the death there, and the gory details of Lord Voldemort's return. I was a bit hesitant about reading book 5 to her. She however, wanted to continue. I warned her that things are not so easy now on, and that there were parts she might find upsetting. She insisted that she could handle it. So we did.
A did get a bit upset around the part Mr Weasely gets attacked. We had to stop for a bit and many discussions later we continued. Things were fine till the part where Sirius falls behind the veil. She did not want to continue for almost a week, after which she came to me and asked me to finish the book. I waited for the questions, but the only thing she said was that she was sad that Harry had become an orphan again. We had quite a bit of discussion on that point, and I think A has made her peace with it.
We finished the book, but at her request, and because I know she is not ready to handle book 6, we are holding off Ms Rowling's awesome books, for some time, at least. As a very dear friend of hers, with whom she regularly discusses the books she reads put it, we are not continuing with Harry Potter right now because "A is cross with J.K.Rowling for what happenned to Sirius."
Does that mean that we will be wrapping up our read-aloud sessions? Not by a long shot! We both enjoy them too much for that, and are a lovely means of spending time together, bonding, doing what we both love to do.
I have always read to A since she was old enough to sit on my lap and look at the pages of a book. So some time back, we had decided to read classics for children in the original together, and proceeded to read through Anna Sewell's Black Beauty, (she's re-reading it on her own currently) Edith Nesbit's Five Children and It, and Frances Hodgson Burnett's A Little Princess. At the completion of which she expressed a desire to start with Harry Potter. So the classics were kept aside for later, and the rest, as one would say, (to paraphrase a well known expression) was magic.
So now that the boy wizard has been put on the back burner, I was wondering what to start with. A solved the question for me herself.
![]() |
| Pic courtesy bookdepository.co.uk |
We have already finished the first book- 'The Magician's Nephew,' and yes, A loved it. Can't wait to begin with 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe', my personal favourite. I love the character of Aslan.
So folks, wish us happy reading. Will keep you updated.


3 comments:
Sounds like a lovely edition - trust you to spot it!
Narnia is cool. A firm favourite with her friend in these parts :)
Hey- has she read Children of the New Forest- I liked it a lot as a kid- maybe she would too?
ah...we just finished the Sorcerer's Stone...and in anticipation, she has been told we will do the next book after 6 mths. She had snake and Voldemort dreams, not very scary, but still. So now she's rereading on her own, and we anyway have a bonanza of books waiting once her serious tests get over in a week's time.
I, of course, raced thru' the whole series, and believe me, I got mad at JKR all over again myself! Happy narnia reading!
Post a Comment