Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

25 January, 2011

My Bhimsen Joshi

One of my favourite singers, Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, is no more.

Born on 4th February 1922, he was 89 yrs old. He was born in Karnataka, but had settled in Pune, Maharashtra. Prolific in both Kannada and Marathi, he ruled over our hearts for many years. As a child growing up in Mumbai, we would listen to his Abangawani every morning. As I grew older, I began to listen to his classical performances too, and loved them, despite not really having an in-depth knowledge of classical music. There was no denying that his music touched one's soul. I say 'My Bhimsen Joshi' with apparent impunity, but that is how 'ours' we feel he is. A household name in a Marathi home.

Here are some of the abhangs (devotional songs) that I love. His voice has that intoxicating quality that puts you in a trance as you listen. Many of them make use of a beat /taal called 'bhajani theka' by bhajan/abhang lovers that further adds to this intoxicating quality.
















MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE.

2 comments:

Sangitha said...

RIP, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi!

Know what you mean - when D K Pattamal died, it was a similar story for me. Felt exactly like this - my DKP or my MSS or my MLV - the three stalwart (women to boot) in carnatic music.

sandhya said...

Thanks, Sangi. Know of and have listened to only M.S.Subbalaxmi of the three you have listed. Would surely like to try the others. Though my knowledge of Carnatic is very poor.