Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

29 November, 2010

POTTER-ing about again! And Bond! And a bookcase too!

Spoiler Alert for those who have not read the Harry Potter series, nor watched the movies!

A and I finished reading "Harry Potter and the oblet of Fire together yesterday. This has been the 4th in a marathon session of reading aloud that I do with her everyday. And we have been having many many discussions about what we read.

A question from her that I could not find an answer to: If the Triwizaed Cup has been converted into a portkey by Barty Crouch, it will take anyone who touches it to Voldemort. Who converted it into a portkey again so that it takes Harry back to Hogwarts? Or does making something into a portkey work two-ways, like a return journey? Why, then, are the things that are used as portkeys to take everyone to the Quidditch World Cup tossed away? Won't they act as portkeys for someone who might touch them by mistake? And if portkeys set up for the world cup were timed, how can the Triwizard Cup not have to be timed?

Good questions, I think. Especially as I cannot answer them myself, even after having read all the books 'n' number of times! Anyone has an answer?

So now we will get our hands on movie no. 4, and watch it. A is quite keen to begin book 5, but I'm not so sure. She got quite distressed during the reading of the chapter "Flesh, Bone and Blood" which is when Voldemort regains his body. Enough for us to temporarily suspend the reading, and continue the next day when she came to me with- "I think I can handle it now, Aai."  Let's see. I'll have to talk to her about there being distressing parts before I can continue. Your opinion, too, Chox, without hedging around! Much valued. You know why!

I, personally, am re-reading Deathly Hallows, to prepare for going for the movie running in theatres now. Haven't been able to go for it yet. I must, before the Christmas vacations begin, as there might be a trip out of the city.

One more thing that I'm currently pretty excited about: I may get a chance to meet Ruskin Bond. Yes, you read that right!

On another note, check out this post over at Playing By The Book, for a chance to win a cool book-case for yourself. Shipped anywhere over the world. Quick, today is your last chance to get it!

8 comments:

Choxbox said...

Hats off to your enthu man. I can’t even read aloud for long with the little one - my throat gets dry!
All of HP aloud - where are your feet?!

Hmm, you know my funda - each kid is different in terms of what freaks them out and also in terms what the parent thinks is appropriate. Sorry for sounding like a textbook!

And hey get on with Calendar of Festivals! It was shipped to your parts before I had a complete look at it! Preferably return with a batch of laddoos ;) *runs before said laddoos are pelted on her, also keeping mouth open just in case she can catch one while running*

starry eyed said...

Wow! Tough q! Watched the movie by myself on Saturday...was quite 'spell-bound', LOL!! But it is like the book, very dark, depressing and slow...altho' there are humorous cute moments too.

Nervous about introducing HP to Div...we'll start from Jan, I think we will go slow anyway with books 1 and 2, which are relatively lighter. Like the question A asked, I guess there will be many q's...I love the intricate plot and logic of every single thing in these books. The movie made me long to read the whole series again, but I can't open the gift :(

sandhya said...

@Chox: Intend reading the whole series aloud! Should be a record of sorts, shouldn't it? We love doing this, and even A wants me to continue with it. Won't read them on her own unless I've done with it. She is reading the earlier ones by herself, though.

Calendar of Festivals coming over today, not to worry. A was done with it long ago, it was I who didn't find time. Laddoos- patience, patience. I need to patent them first!:) BTW, I remember some talk about Mohanthall?!!

sandhya said...

@Starry: Wonderful that you'll be able to revisit the books with your children. And yes, there will be many questions. Haffun!

Am looking forward to watching the movie sometime this week or the next. Let me see. I have a friend, the mother of one of A's school friends, who is equally into HP. Maybe we'll go together.:)

Choxbox said...

Err.. what about me?

*sulks off, first no laddoos, now no movie invit. Hmph*

sandhya said...

You need an invite?!! *looks offended!*
If you only had the time for it, Ma'am, we could go together. And no, it cannot be with the kids, because my kid hasn't read the books 5, 6 & 7 yet, and I don't want to spoil it for her. Although I do feel bad that she won't be able to watch them on the big screen. Unless Warner Bros decides to re-run them in theatres after 2-3 yrs. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Choxbox said...

nah am in no hurry to show the movie to the kid. so tell me when we can go.

sandhya said...

Today? Tomorrow? Will call you.