![]() |
| link here |
As a lot of my readers know, I read aloud some book to A everyday for some time. It is something we have been doing since she was a baby, and I see no reason to stop now that she reads so vociferously on her own. I always choose a book for these sessions which I feel may be slightly beyond her, or which I feel will be more enjoyable by my putting suitable expressions into the words, or which I know will invite many questions or discussions.
One of the series we are enjoying in this manner are the Harry Potter series. We began with book 1 when A was 8 yrs old, and have just finished book 3.
It does not matter how long we take to finish a book, as we are immersed in enjoying it to the hilt. Since I have read all the books many times over, I love it when she comes up with some question for which I need to answer-"I can't answer that question, A. It is important to the story, and you'll find out later." These days she has taken to asking me a more direct question- "In which book will I find out if...?"
The questions come at any odd time: a sign that she has been thinking over what we have read and very seriously too. At bedtime, at mealtimes, in the middle of something she is doing. The one time I get annoyed over it is when she asks me something in the middle of the morning rush, and I invariably answer it with- "I'll give you the answer after you are ready and putting on shoes to go to school- so hurry up!"
Also, as I firmly believe in watching the movie after we have read the book- no matter what the book is- A has watched only the first three movies. We are currently reading book 4 together, and from A's experience of it, and the questions she comes up with, I realise afresh that J.K.Rowling has indeed grown as a writer as the series progresses, and that the books become more complex. All the more reason for me to monitor when A reads them. Even if she is easily able to read the more complex stuff, I'm not sure if she will be really able to appreciate the philosophy underlying it. Something that I would want her to savour. Which she is doing in a staggered way, by re-reading books 1 and 2 by herself.
Also, here is the latest trailer by Warner brothers of Part one of the Deathly Hallows movie. Am eagerly looking forward to it. The trailer had me mesmerised, and my heart beating faster. I wonder what the experience of it will be like- in a theatre with surround sound and in 3D!

7 comments:
Lovely to be able to read your new blog. So sorry you had troubles with trolls though. As to the picture book swap it would be fantastic to have more swappers from India :-)
Yesterday we watched the film of the Secret Garden - we finished it as our bed time book a few weeks ago. I would be very interested in hearing what is though of this book in India - there are some shocking passages about "the natives" in it early on in the book. I was really shocked to read them, although of course I know some of the historical setting for the book and the fact that it was written so long ago.
Sigh! My heart was beating faster too! We just bought the HP book set as a surprise for Div's 9th birthday in Jan, she has no clue! Meanwhile she wants to come for the movie...what do you think, she has never seen any of the earlier ones (remember we don't have a TV, and I haven't bought the movies yet, will buy them as she finishes the books too)...do you think it'll be too scary for her? Remember the play and how she and A were a bit jittery??!!
@Zoe : Thanks for visiting!
I did find the references to 'the natives' in The Secret Garden a bit irksome, but then I told myself that the book needs to be read in the perspective of the time it was written at. I firmly believe that previous works should not be censored, as they mirror society as it had been, and a reader needs to have the maturity to realise that, and not react to it in today's context.
It is another matter that this sometimes poses problems while reading such books to / by children, who may not have that maturity, and may be shocked/ bewildered/ confused. I always try and prepare the background with A before she reads something like this, so that she has a context to fall back on. Or discuss the matter with her in context if we encounter it unexpectedly.
I can imagine that such references can generally distress other people, though the newer generations seem to have moved on.
@Chox : You shouldn't have!
@Starry : Div will enjoy them, and they will be a wonderful surprise to her. Maybe you will have to sit with her initially- it depends on each child.
The movie-yes, I should think it would be scary for her- I know A would be scared. But then by the time she finishes book 7 and then watches the movie,(considering all the other things that occupy her on a routine basis) I think she will be older and more mature, and may take it in her(teenage) stride!
you know, no matter how many times I hear it, I am still delighted to know that you are still reading something to A. its a lovely thing to share.
Mad momma! I got you to comment! *swooning*
Thanks, MM. Both A and I enjoy our sessions together. In fact, she has shown incredible restraint by not reading the books we read together by herself at other times, even if they are lying out on the shelf. It is another matter that once we finish a book together she pronto starts reading it by herself like a book maniac!
Post a Comment