Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

08 July, 2010

A library affair

This post by Pratham Books had me ruminating over libraries I had encountered in my life and the role they have played. The first ever library I remember is the one at my school. We had two libraries.One for the junior school ( for upto the 4th grade) and another for the senior school (5th to 10th grade). The junior library was very spacious with open shelves all around and colourful chairs and tables in clusters. I joined the school in the 3rd grade, but I do remember that my library card had the maximum permissible issue-outs.

The senior library was more, you know, serious looking. There were wooden cabinets with glass doors all around, filled with the most wonderful books categorised by topic and sub-categorised alphabetically by author. We had one open shelf where the latest books aquired by the library were displayed. We had a library class twice a week, when we were steered toward the books we should be reading and periodicals like the Readers' Digest and National Geographic which would broaden our minds. I read all of those, and much more. Here, again, my library card had to be re-made twice in the year. In the 70s and 80s we did not have the cards that could be swiped. We had the old fashioned ones which had columns and rows where a date-stamper would stamp the due-date, which was also stamped on the corresponding leaflet in the book issued out. The card would be kept in a card-folder in the library. Needless to say, the card was never taken home by me except during the vacations.

Mrs K, the librarian, was a favourite teacher. We had a tradition in school. On Teachers' Day, students from the 10th grade would be assigned roles of teachers. We would dress as the teachers and actually take one class as that teacher. No prizes for guessing whose role I had been assigned!

We had a book festival every year in February in school. It was always a massive affair. It would be advertised in the local newspapers, and went on for a whole week, just after the school closed for the vacations. Prizes in school were given in the form of gift vouchers that could be used at this book festival. There were all kinds of books for all kinds of minds. We chose our books and submitted them to Mrs K, and they would be given to us on re-opening day with our names and the prize details inscribed inside under the school logo. Real keepsakes.

As though the books I took home from school were not enough, I had joined a library outside too. Nowadays it is a common thing to do. But 30 years ago, not many people did that, not here in India. Correspondingly, there were no public libraries suitable for children. This library that I frequented was actually a used-book shop, which would take back the book after it was read, and deduct 50paisa (a large amount in those days) as reading fee. Soon, the bookshop owner knew us very well, and stopped charging the entire price of the book, but would just charge a monthly fee from us.

The libraries we had in college do not count here, as all they had were the study books, and could not be used for reading pleasure. I also stayed at a hostel for a lot of this time, so could not use the bookshop-library. It was at this relatively book-starved period of my life that I began to put aside some of my pocket money toward buying books. The continuation of a home library begun in my school days with the books received as prizes.

It was around the time I graduated that I became a member of the British Library. At that time, we needed a student ID or a work ID to become a member. I remember being awe-struck by the library in Mumbai. The opulence and the hushed premises were very unlike anything I had known in my middle-class life till then. Unless one counted the atmosphere in my school library during a class in session, each head bent over a book.

I have been a member at the British Library for many years now, off-and-on, whenever I was in a place that had one of their branches. In between we were in the US for a few years and in the UK for a few months. Public libraries here are wonderful. Free for residents of the town/village, with accessibility over all libraries around the county. These libraries demolished my impression of libraries as sombre places, where reigns a pin-drop silence. They do come under the heading of 'quiet places', but are also fun places where there are story-telling sessions, activities, both for children and grown-ups, and a parent with one or more children reading aloud and giggling over a book, lost to the rest. This was a new avatar of the library for me. One I fell in love with.

Back home in India, I was delighted to find that the British Library branch where I went for membership had undergone a metamorphosis of sorts, and was no longer the kind where one would expect members in a black-tie-dress-code. It had loosened up, if that is the right term to use, and although not quite the place full of delights I had encountered on my travels, was a pleasant enough place. One that A and I enjoyed going to.

Last month, however, we decided to shift loyalties and became members at Hippocampus, a library in Koramangala which has come closest to my dream library.

Library experience has come a long way from the days in which I frequented the bookshop where we paid 50paisa as reading fee for every book and I had to shift aside piles of books I didn't find interesting to find that one book I wanted to read. Now we are spoilt for choice. We have the online library, where one can browse in virtual shelves, where you place an order online and the books are delivered to your doorstep. A boon for the time-starved working bibliophile. Then we have libraries which combine the experience of browsing at real shelves with the facility of ordering online, as also buying select books available in the 'own your copy' section.

In the meantime, our home library is slowly growing. As the husband also reads a lot, we both had our individual collections which were put together when we married. The library kept growing slowly, and now most of the additions are books for A. We have more books than anything else at home, and on an average day lying all over the place. I have become the person you come to for a book recommendation, or even for a book itself among my friends and neighbours. On my part, there's nothing I love to see as much as another person/child being converted over to the readers' side.

According to the post by Pratham books,  ''putting libraries in malls is one of many efforts by public libraries to become more convenient." Maybe it is the call of the times, when going to a mall is considered one of those things that come high on the 'to do' list of an average person. Putting a library in their path may be one of the ways we can grow readership.

20 comments:

RGB said...

Enjoyed reading about your experience with books & libraries.

Books are irresistable, irrespective of place, age and time. There was a time when I used to exhaust all my money buying books & music tapes (which are now gathering dust for want of space).

We have a nice garden library close to where I stay, where they have a wide selection of books and my kids also love going there. Though I don't get to read as much as I used to (a full time job, + a baby who hardly sleeps during day time), I trip over books everytime I see them.

artnavy said...

Very interesting post- my MIL will enjoy it being a librarian herself

sandhya said...

RGB: Welcome here. Glad you liked my post. Hear you re books gathering dust for want of space.:)
@Art: Would like to speak to her next time I come over. Librarians are my 'favouritest' persons!

Arundhati said...

I like your style :)

I miss the public libraries too. I've heard good things about EasyLib.

Hippocampus is just what I was looking for - judging by the website, yet to drop in/register. Thank you!

Vibha said...

Liked the post and your deep association with books and libraries.

sandhya said...

@Arundhati: Thanks. I've heard good things about EasyLib too. I've never tried it myself, but have friends who have. And yes, a thumbs-up for Hippocampus.

sandhya said...

Thanks Vibha. My books do define me to a large extent.
BTW, what about doing that tag? Would love to read your thoughts too.

Katie Fries said...

I have such wonderful memories of the libraries I belonged to as a child. They truly did play a huge role in my growth as a reader and book lover, and I'm so glad my children now love going to the library as much as I did as a child.

Here in the US libraries have changed quite a bit too. The ones I went to as a kid (in Central California) were single room affairs with shelves of books and very limited hours. The ones I have belonged to more recently, in the Chicago suburbs and now the Bay Area, are truly centers for reading and learning where you can take classes, see public art, check out music and movies, play (the children's room at our old library had puzzles and games) and connect with others. I truly believe they're a vital part of the community.

sandhya said...

Hi, Katie. We were in the US around 1997-1999. So it was a pretty long time ago. We were for a long time in Phoenix, AZ, then in Foster City, CA, and for some time in South Carolina. Even at that time, the libraries were quite reader friendly. We loved spending time there.
The library I went to in the UK was more like the ones you describe, more like a community centre.

Vibha said...

Sandhya, the tag is in my mind and would love to write something about it but not sure where. I do not put personal posts on LiterarySojourn so that leaves me no place to write for the tag. Or should I write under the comment part where you informed me about the tag ?! Any suggestions?

sandhya said...

I don't know. I can suggest three things. One, you post it in the comments on my post on the tag. Two, your posts 'Picture Perfect', 'Ode to my mother's bangles', etc. were expressions of your personal thoughts. So maybe you could do something there. Maybe in a form which fits that mould. Three, you could send it to me in a mail, and I could incorporate it in a post as 'tag done by Vibha'. I pretty much write about whatever I think, so that could be done. What do you think.

Vibha said...

Thanks for suggesting so many options. You are one resourceful person :) I will do that soon.

rajk said...

Hi, love your blog! Especially this post...I might write something on this topic soon too.
BTW, your school and its library sound sooooo COOL!

sandhya said...

@rajk: Welcome here. Thanks. I agree my school was great. One of the best I know of, and still a great school.

Maya said...

Sorry, I have arrived a tad bit late...But better late than never :). Loved this post.

We used to have a library period only once a week sadly. But it was a nice,relaxed time where one could read any of the books one chose to read. Also, since my dad is in the army, almost everywhere we went had a decently stocked library within the army cantonment. Whenever we used to come visit my grandparents in Bangalore, I would use their library card a LOT to borrow books from their library. But one would have to pay 10% of the price of the book to borrow it and this proved to be an expensive affair for the grandparents whose granddaughter would be happily exchanging books every other day. :)

I haven't been to Hippocampus yet, but keep track of the fun activities they are upto. Must be so much fun to be there as a parent too no?

Psst: Thanks for reminding me of the school tradition where one got to dress like their teachers.

Anuradha Shankar said...

very interesting! you reminded me the wonderful libraries i was part of too...except that i was lucky in libraries at college too.. considering that i was studying physics but reading literature!! i have been a member of BCL too for a long time... who knows we may even have met sometime! but did u know that they are no longer around in the form we are used to? they have now shifted and turned online.... they now deliver books home! am going to become a member again soon!

sandhya said...

Maya, thanks for reading and commenting so thoughtfully.
Hear you re 'happily exchanging books every other day'!
When my daughter was little, I would read to her in the fervent hope that she loved books and reading as much as I do. It is such fun reading books together and discussing them. One more place for us to connect, don't you think? And I have as much fun at Hippocampus as she does.

sandhya said...

@Anu: I have been a lurker on your blog for a long time now. It's great to have your comment here.
I was a member of the Mumbai branch of BCL a long time ago-almost 20yrs ago. I am not aware of the changes there. But it is a good thing if they have gone online- a boon to the working reader. I have been a member of the branch at Bangalore for many years now, and somehow never explored the possibility of an online facility. It was too much fun going to the library and browsing for what one wanted. I did notice that they have recently added a drop-box facility, though.

Zoe said...

What a lovely post Sandhya. I love the sound of the bookshop-library. When we go on holiday we always visit the local library - gives us a different flavour of the place as well as being a great refuge with the kids if the weather is poor, or if we're tired after a day of travelling.

sandhya said...

Thanks for your comment, Zoe. I know what you mean about the local library giving you the flavour of the place. In fact, some time back, we were looking for another school for A. Everytime we visited a school, we would make it a point to check out their library if permitted. It mattered a lot to us.