Welcome!

Thank you for visiting. I would love to hear what you have to say!

All work and pictures are copyrighted : mine or otherwise specified.

21 March, 2010

A goes to a birthday party

Just back after dropping A off for a birthday party.

Usually, the girls who invite her for their birthdays are close friends, or at least someone who has been a friend for a while, and therefore familiar to me from what she speaks of them. In fact I am good friends myself with the mothers of most of the regulars, and quite comfortable sending A off to their place.

Three days back, we got the invitation for today's party. The child- I had seen her at school, and heard her name probably once.The mother- I had seen her many times at school, but I had never had an occasion to speak to her. She seemed a pleasant enough lady when she told me that she was planning a birthday party for her child on Sunday, and could I send A for it?

I looked at the two girls hugging each other, A with delight in her eyes. I knew then that I could not refuse simply because I was unfamiliar with them. I said I would like to, but could I confirm in a day or so? She said I could, and took my number saying she would message the details to me.

She messaged me the next day, with the time and the address of her house, where the party was to be held. She also mentioned the names of the children who were to attend, and that her husband along with her daughter would be picking up from the school those kids who would prefer that. I was struck by her thoughtfulness. There was no pressure of 'please confirm', etc.

I took my time replying to her. In the meantime I had reason to visit a bookstore with a friend who was also a parent of a girl in the same class. I still wasn't sure of whether I wanted to send A. I casually asked this friend for her opinion on the gift I should be buying that child. I selected a few books and she told me I could buy those that required a parent reading to the child because this particular lady was likely to do it. She also had a few other good things to say about her. Now in my opinion, (just my opinion. I may be wrong)  a parent who would take the trouble to involve herself/himself in an activity that the child enjoys- whatever that may be-reading, playing some game, art, craft, cooking-anything constructive and fun- is not far off wrong. And here was a mother who would involve herself in something we too enjoy doing together-reading. I decided to send A and bought that gift.

I messaged the lady that A would be there for the party, and could she be picked up and dropped off at the school? She promptly messaged back with the timings, her husband's name, phone number and car number. When we went to drop off A, we met the gentleman, who also came across as a pleasant person. Thoughtful, too, because he was standing inside a chained in enclosure beside the road outside the school with 7-8 kids who ran around in it, but not on the road. I did not know the people very well, but I did not mind sending my 8yr old with them.

And I am amused by the realisation that my mom-antennae are so up and ready, and that our subconscious processes information in such interesting ways. Isn't that what we call our instincts or the sixth sense?

1 comment:

Veena said...

Very thoughtful and perceptive of A's friend's parents. I guess that's the way to go while dealing with others kiddos - to put ourselves in the other parents' shoes and be sensitive to their concerns about the welfare of their kids